''The Nightmare People'' is a horror novel by Creator/LawrenceWattEvans.
One hot summer night Ed Smith was unable to sleep. Opening his blinds at 3:00 AM, he thought he saw a monster outside his window. Some nightmare. The next morning, everyone in his building had disappeared. They turned up later that day, or at least some people who looked like them did...
!!This novel provides examples of:
* BeatStillMyHeart: "Beating" at all is arguable, but the nightmare people can survive having their hearts removed. It is not exactly ''comfortable''.
* CrowbarCombatant: plan A against the nightmare people.
* EatenAlive: from the inside, in two variations.
* EnhancedInterrogationTechniques: perfectly acceptable with villains who are not really hurt by it.
* EvilEvolves: happens in another dimension before outputting in reality.
* EvilGloating: lampshaded with a hint of ReversePsychology MindScrew as the discussion questions whether it is the heroes or the villains killing time while waiting for the cavalry.
* GenreSavvy: "In the horror movies, people got themselves killed by walking blithely and disbelievingly into the monster's lair. ... he intended to be a bit more prepared, and a bit more careful, than the people in the movies."
* HealingFactor: the nightmare people have clay-like flesh that flows back together after injury.
* ImAHumanitarian: the nightmare people
* ImmuneToBullets: of course the monsters are.
* ImplacableMan: shoot them, stab them, burn them: the nightmare people don't care.
* InfernalRetaliation: on a small scale after KillItWithFire fails.
* InfoDump: a nightmare person explains their entire backstory.
* KillItWithFire: attempted.
* LampshadeHanging: "This was like something out of a horror movie." "'It's like something out of a horror movie, y'know?'"
* MadeOfEvil: the nightmare people
* MassiveMultiplayerScam: considered as an explanation for what is going on.
* MoreTeethThanTheOsmondFamily: the nightmare people
* NeverMessWithGranny: she explicitly isn't, but she does take down a supernatural monster singlehandedly. Her monster-slaying tactics involve sewing and sauteing.
* NoHonorAmongThieves: the nightmare people have no interest in protecting each other.
* NoSell: the nightmare people do not bother fighting back. It is too much fun watching the humans react when their attacks do nothing.
* NothingIsScarier: no sound, no scent, and other things putting the nightmare people in the UncannyValley.
* OminousWalk: the nightmare people are fond of them.
* ShapeShifting: but only off-camera.
* SortingAlgorithmOfEvil: invoked upon reality by the nightmare people.
* UnspokenPlanGuarantee: Ed Smith has a plan that he explicitly refuses to explain.
* TheHunterBecomesTheHunted: in both directions.
* WallCrawl: the nightmare people.
* WeaksauceWeakness: several. Lampshaded by the heroes.