''The Midwich Cuckoos'' is a 1957 science fiction novel by Creator/JohnWyndham.
All the women of childbearing age and capability in the village of Midwich simultaneously become pregnant with alien children who all share the same uncanny appearance and have the ability to mentally manipulate people.
It has been filmed twice under the title ''Film/VillageOfTheDamned''.
!!This novel provides examples of:
* AssholeVictim: The wifebeater father of one of the babies is forced to repeatedly punch himself in the face after striking his infant son hard enough to leave a bruise.
* ButICantBePregnant: Virgins and a faithful wife whose husband has been away for several months are understandably perplexed. Rather horribly, at least one of the virgins is a "woman" in that she's started menstruating but is really little more than a child herself.
* BlondesAreEvil: The alien children.
* FirstPersonPeripheralNarrator: The narrator, Richard Gayford, is a fairly uninspiring and relatively uninvolved observer. If the book can be said to have a protagonist, it would have to be Zellaby.
* ItsTheOnlyWayToBeSure[=/=]NuclearOption: An entire Russian village that has undergone a similar baby boom is nuked by the military. They can't even warn the innocent parties to leave, because if they did, the babies would be tipped off and do something about it...
* SupernaturalGoldEyes: When born, the alien babies seem human except for their uncanny gold eyes.