''The Midwich Cuckoos'' is a 1957 science fiction novel by Creator/JohnWyndham.
All the women of childbearing age and capability in the village of Midwich simultaneously become pregnant with alien children who all share the same uncanny appearance and have the ability to mentally manipulate people.
It has been filmed twice under the title ''Village of the Damned'', first in [[Film/VillageOfTheDamned1960 1960]] and then in [[Film/VillageOfTheDamned1995 1995]].
!!This novel provides examples of:
* AssholeVictim: The wifebeater father of one of the babies is forced to repeatedly punch himself in the face after striking his infant son hard enough to leave a bruise.
* ButICantBePregnant: Virgins and a faithful wife whose husband has been away for several months are understandably perplexed. Rather horribly, at least one of the virgins is a "woman" in that she's started menstruating but is really little more than a child herself.
* CreepyChild: Although, unlike the examples in both film adaptations, [[spoiler: they don't stay that way, at least not physically]].
* FirstPersonPeripheralNarrator: The narrator, Richard Gayford, is a fairly uninspiring and relatively uninvolved observer. If the book can be said to have a protagonist, it would have to be Zellaby.
* HiveMind: At the very least, all of the male children and all of the female children are linked together. [[spoiler: Zellaby suggests that they might not be individuals at all, but rather one male and one female example of their species with several bodies]].
* ItsTheOnlyWayToBeSure[=/=]NuclearOption: An entire Russian village that has undergone a similar baby boom is nuked by the military. They can't even warn the innocent parties to leave, because if they did, the babies would be tipped off and do something about it...
* KidsAreCruel: A suggestion for why the response of the Children to any attack is so grossly disproportionate. Their powers allow them to act out the cruelty associated with this trope against adults and even the military.
* KillItWithFire: The villagers attempt to destroy the Grange with torches. [[spoiler: It ends with their being forced to fight one another, in a few cases to the death]].
* MuggingTheMonster: The Chief Constable of the county, enraged by by the attitude of one of the Children, tries to cow him into submission by giving him a rage-filled dressing-down. [[MindRape He soon has cause to regret this.]]
* SupernaturalGoldEyes: When born, the alien babies seem human except for their uncanny gold eyes.
* WouldHurtAChild: An adult intentionally harms one of the Children early in the book, while it is still a baby. [[spoiler: This does not end well for him]].