->For the ''Franchise/JurassicPark'' novel, see ''Literature/TheLostWorld1995''.
Sir Creator/ArthurConanDoyle moved from detective stories to more fanciful fare with this 1912 novel of adventure and discovery.
Pugnacious Professor Challenger claims that he's found a place in the Amazon cut off from the rest of the world and housing all kinds of species previously believed to be extinct. He sets off on an expedition to prove his find, accompanied by a skeptical colleague, Professor Summerlee; the cool-headed sportsman Lord John Roxton; and the narrator, young reporter Edward Malone. They soon find Professor Challenger's lost world, an isolated plateau inhabited by dinosaurs, primitive humans, and savage ape-men, but when the bridge back to the outer world collapses, their journey of discovery becomes a fight for survival.
Inspired a bunch of films and TV series, one of which was ''Series/SirArthurConanDoylesTheLostWorld''.
!!This book contains examples of:
* AbsenceMakesTheHeartGoYonder: Ned Malone is rejected by the girl he loves because he's never done anything adventurous, so he joins the Challenger expedition to prove himself; she marries someone else while the expedition is away.
* AdventurerArchaeologist: Professor Challenger.
* AnachronismStew: Explained in that various species found their way up at different times.
* AscendedExtra: Challenger's servant Austin. In the novel he's a OneSceneWonder. In the 1925 movie, he accompanies the expedition.
* AwesomeMcCoolname: Professor. Challenger. Doubles--certainly in how he's first described--as a [[NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast Name To Run Away From Really Fast]]. And he doesn't disappoint.
* BoldExplorer: Professor Challenger is a man of science who has no hesitation to set off and explore a mysterious plateau in the Amazon.
* BringItBackAlive: A Pterodactyl in the original book and a few film adaptations, a Brontosaurus in the 1925 film, and a juvenile TyrannosaurusRex in the 60's version.
* CanonForeigner: Maple White was given a daughter in the 1925 film, as a love interest for Roxton (and then Malone who unintentionally steals her from him). She contributes almost nothing else.
* GentlemanAdventurer: Lord John Roxton.
* GeniusBruiser: Professor Challenger.
* GreatWhiteHunter: Lord John Roxton.
* HaveAGayOldTime: Describing a semi-inflated hot air balloon as a "flaccid organ" probably falls under this.
** The explorers are described as tossing "fags" onto their campfire.
* HeroicAlbino: Maple White.
* IAmOneOfThoseToo: Early on, Malone pretends to be a paleontologist to gain Challenger's confidence, but the Professor suspects something is up and asks him if he is familiar with several completely made-up theories, to which Malone answers in the affirmative.
* IntrepidReporter: Edward Malone.
* LastNameBasis: Professor Summerlee is the only main character whose first name is never mentioned.
* LostWorld: The TropeNamer.
* RedHeadedHero: Lord John Roxton is known as "The Red Chief" in South America.
* ScienceMarchesOn: In dinosaur anatomy, the discrediting of various genetic theories (Professor Challenger first shows off his genius by identifying Malone as Irish through some [[ValuesDissonance stunningly racist means]]), and the full geography of South America.
* [[YouKilledMyFather You Killed My Brother]]: Gomez wants revenge on Roxton for having killed his brother Pedro Lopez.