"The Landlady" is a short horror story by Creator/RoaldDahl. It starts out with Billy, a young British man, looking for a place to stay. He finds the [[foldercontrol]]
[[folder: BED AND BREAKFAST INN ]]
and a quaint old woman inside, who welcomes him to stay, just like the ''other'' young men she's been fond of.
It's pretty much horror to anyone who knows what [[spoiler:BitterAlmonds]] signify.
!!!Tropes used in "The Landlady":
* [[spoiler: BitterAlmonds: Billy thought to himself that his tea tastes like bitter almonds, which was cyanide that the landlady used to poison him so she could stuff him.]]
* TheCollector: The old woman herself freely admits to stuffing her old pets that have passed on. She collects ''other'' things too...
* DirtyOldWoman: She's really got a thing for young, handsome men.
* GenreShift: Until the very end, it appears to just be a little SliceOfLife story.
* HellHotel: What it actually turns out to be, although it appears pleasant.
* MummiesAtTheDinnerTable: It's what the eponymous landlady does to her dead pets[[spoiler:, as well as the guests she murders.]]
* NiceGuy: Billy
* ViewersAreGeniuses: Although you can eventually realize what the landlady's problem is, you can't understand the true horror of the story unless you're familiar with the [[spoiler: BitterAlmonds]] trope.