A trilogy of novels by Gerald N. Lund published starting in 2000, set in the Holy Land during [[TheBible New Testament]] times, it comprises of three books:
* ''Fishers of Men''
* ''Come Unto Me''
* ''Behold the Man''
The story centers on the family of David ben Joseph, a wealthy merchant in the city of Capernaum, and frequent business partner of Simon Peter and his brother Andrew and their partners James and John, the sons of Zebedee. In dealing with them, David comes to hear of a new rabbi traveling around who rumors have begun to circle may in fact be the long awaited Messiah.
David's wife Deborah and their son Simeon are more concerned with the cause of the Zealots and driving the hated Romans out of Israel, but as they meet Jesus, they find their lives beginning to change as well, but for a while are unable to tell if the change is for the better.
The books each cover a period of about a year, one for each year of Jesus' public ministry, and culminating in his death and resurrection.
!Tropes found therein:
* [[BadassIsraeli Badass Israelite]]: Simeon, Yehuda, Daniel and the rest of the Zealots. Heck, Galileans in general.
* BelligerentSexualTension: Miriam and Simeon develop this a while in, coming to a head in the climax of the second book.
* BerserkButton: Simeon when it comes to the Romans.
* BetaCouple: Yehuda and Livia.
* BigDamnHeroes: Simeon and Yehuda interrupt Moshe Ya’abin’s raid on Mordechai’s travel party just as he was dragging Miriam toward a tent.
* BoyMeetsGirl: Simeon and Miriam.
* ChildrenAreInnocent: “Unless you become as little children, you shall not enter the kingdom of God.”
* CreepyChild: Esther has hints of this.
* DeadpanSnarker: Yehuda
* DefectorFromDecadence: [[spoiler: Miriam when she escapes from Marcus’ family home with Simeon]].
* GoodScarsEvilScars: Simeon has one across his chest from his first encounter with Marcus.
* GildedCage: Miriam comes to see [[spoiler: Marcus' family home]] as one.
* HappilyMarried: David and Deborah, Ephraim and Rachel, and later [[spoiler: Yehuda and Livia and Simeon and Miriam]].
* HerHeartWillGoOn: [[spoiler: Livia after Yehuda’s death]].
* HumanShield: When the Zealots interrupt Ya’abin’s raid on their camp, he holds Miriam in front of himself.
* ICantBelieveAGuyLikeYouWouldNoticeMe: Never said outright, but Livia’s reaction to Yehuda’s attention to her definitely strikes of this, particularly how she is still just Miriam’s servant girl at that point.
* IHaveYouNowMyPretty: Moshe Ya’abin when he raids their camp intends to have his way with Miriam.
* InexplicablyAwesome: Many of Jesus’ followers chalk their devotion of Him up to this.
* InstantWakingSkills: Simeon and the other Zealots, unless they’re someplace where they feel completely safe.
* ItsPersonal: Deborah’s family were all Zealots and her uncle was killed fighting the Romans while several cousins were crucified as the rest of the family watched.
* JewsLoveToArgue: Noted frequently, David hates going to meetings because of it.
* JumpedAtTheCall: Peter, James and John. And Andrew. They hardly put up any fuss and, in James and John’s case all they need is a nod from Zebedee, their father, to head off.
* LaResistance: The Zealots
* LastGirlWins: Simeon was betrothed to Yehuda’s sister Shana briefly, but after the disastrous battle against the Romans, that left Daniel dead and Yehuda in prison, she called it off. Simeon would eventually settle down with Miriam, whom he had known for a much shorter time.
* ManBehindTheMan: Or rather the council behind the council. The Great Sanhedrin is the public governing body in Jerusalem but there is another, inner council that Mordechai belongs to that is the real power. The Romans refer to such things as “the power behind the throne.”
* NotSoOmniscientCouncilOfBickering: The Sanhedrin.
* OldRetainer: David’s household servant Phineas.
* OldSoldier: Sextus Rubrius
* PapaWolf: Mordechai toward Miriam.
* PetTheDog: When Mordechai arranges for [[spoiler: Livia to be reunited with her brother]].
* ProperlyParanoid: Sextus while leading a maniple into Galilee.
* SelfMadeMan: David is implied to be this.
* SiblingYinYang: Esther and Boaz
* [[spoiler: SomeoneToRememberHimBy: Yehuda dies as Livia is pregnant with his child]].
* SpoiledSweet: Miriam is the daughter of a wealthy Sadducee, but isn’t stuck up about it, at least not too much, helps her father out, and frequently goes and gives alms.
* ATasteOfTheLash: Common in Roman discipline. Jesus, of course, is eventually scourged.
* WeWillMeetAgain: After being sent off with his tail between his legs, Moshe Ya’abin yells this to Simeon.
* WhipItGood: Jesus’ introduction as He clears the temple of the moneychangers.