A gothic novel written by Ann Radcliffe and published in 1797, ''The Italian'' concerns a young couple driven apart by the scheming of the young man’s family and a corrupt monk, Schedoni.
!!Tropes Present In ''The Italian''.
* CoolBigSis: Olivia behaves this way to Ellena before the Reveal.
* CreepyUncle: Schedoni.
* EitherOrTitle: ''The Italian, or the Confessional of the Black Penitents''.
* EvilUncle: Schedoni is this to Ellena.
* IfICantHaveYou: If Schedoni can’t have the woman he loves, then he will kill her.
* LongLostRelative: Sister Olivia is really Ellena’s long-lost mother.
* LoveAtFirstSight: Vincentio di Vivaldi loved Ellena Rosalba from when he first saw her.
* LoveMakesYouCrazy: It was love for Ellena’s mother that initially drove Schedoni down his destructive path.
* LoveMakesYouEvil: Schedoni is this all over.
* LukeIAmYourFather: Schedoni believes himself to be Ellena's father. He turns out to be her uncle instead.
* MissingMom: Ellena’s mother is presumed dead.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Schedoni has a moment like this when he discovers who Ellena is and after he thought he had killed his wife.
* ParentalMarriageVeto: Vincentio’s mother went to great lengths to keep her son from marrying Ellena.
* ParentalSubstitute: Ellena was raised by her aunt.
* TakeThat: Written in response to Lewis' The Monk, which Ann Radcliffe was disgusted with.
* VillainProtagonist: Schedoni.
* VillainousCrush: Schedoni has one for Countess di Bruno.