''The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared'' (Swedish: ''Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann'') is a 2009 novel by Jonas Jonasson. It was adapted into a film in 2013.
Meet Allan Karlsson, soon-to-be centenary. The occasion calls for a celebratory party, with the mayor, the journalists, and all the old man's house patients and staff. But Allan has other plans...
The book alternates between two storylines: the first, or "present" one, narrates Allan's escape from the institution and [[ItAmusedMe theft of]] [[ItMakesSenseInContext a suitcase]], while meeting new people and being chased by the owners of the suitcase, the criminal cartel Never Again, and by the police. The "past" storyline details the life of Allan, who [[ForrestGump meets lots of historical figures]] and [[StuffBlowingUp causes a lot of troubles]].
!!This novel provides examples of:
* BadassGrandpa: Allan certainly has his moments of this during the present storyline
* BeenThereShapedHistory: Allan participated in the Spanish civil war and in the Cold War. On ''both'' sides. [[spoiler: He also made the atomic bomb possible.]]
* BookEnds: The first chapter of the "present" story line is repeated word by word as the last chapter of the "past" storyline.
* BunnyEarsLawyer: Allan, [[StuffBlowingUp explosives expert]].
* CowardlySidekick: Herbert.
* CrazyAwesome: Allan. He somehow distilled brandy from ''goat milk''.
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: yes, exactly.
* TheFool: ''Allan''. Throughout his 100 years long life, Allan has avoided death and changed the course of history more times than the average person brushes his teeth... All the while never swearing, never becoming angry with anyone, never lying unnecessarily, and generally being innocent, cheerful and good-natured about all things. Just about everyone who's ever met him dismissed him as an idiot, and he was fine with that, because in the end he never wanted anything more than a glass of good alcohol, a hot meal and a nice place to sit down.
* GuileHero: Allan, again, who despite leaving school at the age of 9, manages by sheer cleverness and likeability to accomplish such things as escaping a gulag, befriending just about every important historical figure in the 20th century, starting ''and'' ending the cold war...
* HeelFaceTurn: Gerdin.
** Gustavsson the wholesaler pestered Allan's mom for money, bought a Fabergé Egg from her for almost nothing and sold it to get himself a car. Unfortunately he goes off the road and into Allan's property, right when Allan was experimenting with a new explosive.
** The chief of Iran's domestic security and intelligence keeps putting out his cigarette in Allan's coffee. Allan exploits this by filling his cup with black-dyed nitroglyceryne.
** Heavily implied for [[spoiler:Joseph Stalin]]. Yes, that one. He has a stroke which leads to his death after discovering that Vladivostok has gone up in flames. [[spoiler:[[HoistByHisOwnPetard He himself sent Allan to a gulag near that city]]]]. And yes, Allan '''was''' responsible for that disaster.
* LadySwearsALot: Gunilla.
* LoveableRogue: many characters.
* RagtagBunchOfMisfits: in order:
** Allan, a CoolOldGuy who is also an explosive expert.
** Julius, a petty criminal surviving by poaching, producing brandy, and leeching from the city electric grid. Acts as TheLancer.
** Benny, TheSmartGuy since he ''almost'' earns ten university degrees (due to his uncle's will, he would get a monthly allowance if he was attending school, and full access to the money once finished. His brother quickly completed a welding course, while Benny stayed on the monthly allowance, always switching his major just before graduating, until there was no more money).
** Gunilla, TheChick with her [[TeamPet Team Pets]], Buster the dog and Sonya the ''elephant''. Also [[SirSwearsALot swears. A lot]].
** Bosse, Benny's brother, which is a really good cook (even though he uses some tricks and claims everything he makes "Swedish" even if imported. Acts as the TokenReligiousTeammate since he rescued half a ton of Bibles from the recycling center and read one from start to end to understand [[AcquiredErrorAtThePrinter why]] someone would throw away so many bibles. [[spoiler:A verse had been appended "and they all lived happily ever after" ("Snipp snapp snut, så var sagan slut").]]
** "Pike" Gerdin, the boss of the "Never Again (In Jail)" gang, and the "legitimate" owner of the suitcase. TokenEvilTeammate turned good by Bosse.
** Commissar Aaronsson, TokenGoodTeammate, inspired enough by Allan's story to quit his job and join them in Bali.
* PrecisionFStrike: done by Allan and Julius when they realize what is in the suitcase.
** He did it again in the past, specifically when a fox kills his pet cat. [[OOCIsSeriousBusiness It's the only time we see him lose control]].
* ShoutOut: Herbert Einstein, being the (fictional) brother of Albert Einstein, refers to the known Swedish tv comedy show with the main characters called - ''Albert and Herbert''!
* StuffBlowingUp: Allan again. The most notable instance is his escape from a gulag. It involved the destruction of Vladivostok.
* TeamPet: Gunilla's pets, Buster the dog and Sonya the elephant.
* [[UnfortunateName Unfortunate Surname]]: Herbert '''Einstein'''. He was kidnapped by the USSR to work on the atomic bomb.
!!The 2013 film provides examples of:
* AdaptationDistillation: A lot of Allan's historical adventures have been removed. Bosse was AdaptedOut.