A series of books by Creator/JacquelineWilson, aimed at teenagers, following three girls through their third year of high school as they deal with the issues of teenage life. The series includes subjects ranging from everyday problems, to very serious things.
The main characters are Ellie, the narrator, an artistic girl with image issues; Nadine, Ellie's gothic childhood best friend, with something of a wild streak, and Magda, a confident and popular girl who befriended them at the start of high school.
The books are:
* ''Girls in Love'': The girls all deal with having their first boyfriends, but Ellie and Nadine both have some problems.
* ''Girls Under Pressure'': Ellie develops an eating disorder, Nadine gets a chance to be a model, and Magda's good looks give some people the wrong idea.
* ''Girls Out Late'': Ellie gets her first ''real'' boyfriend, while wishing she could stay out later, and Magda and later Nadine make some unwise decisions.
* ''Girls in Tears'': Ellie's relationship is struggling, Magda is upset over losing her pet, and Nadine gets an Internet boyfriend.
The series was given a LiveActionAdaptation, called ''Girls in Love'', which ran for two seasons between 2003 and 2005.
!This series provides examples of:
* AdaptationalAttractiveness: In the live-action version, Ellie - whose characterisation largely revolves around her weight and other looks issues - is played by the pretty Olivia Hallinan.
** Dan as well. While not overly attractive in the live-action version, the fact he's a glasses-wearing, nerdy boy with hair that sticks up and also younger and more immature than Ellie in the novels isn't the case in the show.
* AnnoyingYoungerSibling: Eggs to Ellie, Natasha to Nadine.
* CareerVersusFamily: It is mentioned that Ellie's mother gave up a promising career as an illustrator to take care of Ellie. In one book Anna's career causes friction with Ellie's father, although it's later resolved.
* CareerVersusMan: In ''Girls Out Late'', the girls are upset when they discover that their favourite pop star is ending her career because her boyfriend was jealous of her success.
** Ellie herself has an instance of this when she feels that Russell is not supportive of her ambition to become an illustrator.
* DateRapeAverted: Ellie and Magda manage to save Nadine in ''Girls In Love''. Magda fights off a would-be date rapist in ''Girls Under Pressure''.
* DirtyOldMan: As it turns out, [[spoiler: Ellis]].
* EasilyForgiven: Magda and Nadine can be horrible to Ellie at times. However, Ellie quickly forgiving them for [[spoiler: getting them all trapped in an apartment with three strange men]] at the end of ''Girls Out Late'' really takes the biscuit.
* EmbarrassingFirstName: Ellie's brother Eggs, which is a nickname for Benedict.
* HugeSchoolgirl: Ellie seems to consider herself one. May also apply to Nadine, who is described as very tall.
* ImportantHaircut: After experiencing AttemptedRape, Magda gets her hair cut into a short, unflattering style and dyed back from blonde to her natural colour, believing this will stop boys assuming she'll sleep with them. When she regains her confidence, she gets it cut again into a better style, and dyed bright red.
* IncompatibleOrientation: In the first book, Ellie has a crush on a handsome guy called Kevin, and pretends to her friends that he is her boyfriend Dan (leading to embarrassment when they discover the truth, since the real Dan is awkward and nerdy.) She later discovers that Kevin is gay and in a relationship, but they do become good friends.
* JustFriends: Ellie insists Dan is this throughout most of the first book and first series of the live action version, even though he insists differently.
* LovableAlphaBitch: Magda.
* LovingAShadow: Ellie builds up a romantic image of Kevin in her head, only to discover he's very different from who she thought he was (and is gay as well.) When Dan later dumps her for Gail, Ellie wonders if she was just a fantasy figure to him.
* MasculineGirlFeminineBoy: Natasha and Eggs, lampshaded in a scene where they dress up in each other's clothes.
* MayDecemberRomance: Ellie's father is in his 50s while his second wife Anna is still in her 20s. Also a former case of TeacherStudentRomance, since they met when Anna was one of his art students at college.
* MissingMom: Ellie's mother is dead.
* NoSympathy: Nadine and Magda can be guilty of this toward Ellie.
* OffscreenBreakup: Ellie and Dan in the TV series. The first series focuses on their relationship, ending with them getting together, but by the second he's just ... gone. He's never even mentioned, and Ellie says she's never had a relationship before.
* OnlySaneMan: Ellie, very frequently.
* RelationshipReboot: Ellie and [[spoiler:Russell]] at the end of ''Girls in Tears''.
* SadistTeacher: Miss Henderson.
* SassyBlackWoman: Magda in the TV series, which kept her outgoing and cheeky personality from the books but gave her a RaceLift.
* SecondLove: Russell for Ellie. Ellie's relationship with Dan ended when he met ''his'' Second Love, Gail.
* ShowWithinAShow: In ''Girls in Tears'', Nadine has become a fan of a fantasy TV series called ''Xanadu'', an obvious pastiche of ''Series/BuffyTheVampireSlayer'' and ''XenaWarriorPrincess''.
* StoutStrength: It isn't dwelt on, but in the second book, after Ellie bumps into Mick after he pretty much assaults Magda, and he starts calling her a slag, she hits him hard enough that he appears scared of her next time they meet. She is thirteen, he is some years older, so she must be pretty strong if she actually managed to hurt him that much.
* TeacherStudentRomance: In ''Girls Out Late'', [[spoiler: Magda attempts to start one of these with Mr Windsor. He is not happy with this]]. Also, Ellie's father teaches adults in an art college, and both of his wives were originally his students.
* TooDumbToLive: Nadine:
** In ''Girls Under Pressure'' she attempts to go to a photography session by herself that will literally be just her and the photographer (he turned out to be legitimate, but still).
** At the end of ''Girls Out Late'', she [[spoiler: agrees to go off in a van with three strange guys]]. Magda and Ellie ''also'' go along with this, although Ellie was only doing it because she didn't feel she could abandon her friends while they were being so stupid. Magda was swinging between the two reasons to go.
** Finally, in ''Girls in Tears'', she [[spoiler: goes to meet her internet boyfriend, who, predictably, is not who he says he is]], and has to be saved by Ellie and Magda once again.
* UglyGuyHotWife: Ellie considers that her father and Anna fit this trope.
* WeightWoe: Ellie. She develops an eating disorder in the second book, and still has issues in the rest of the series.
* WillTheyOrWontThey: Ellie and Dan in the first series of the live action version, where he has a larger role. [[spoiler: They do, but he's disappeared by the second series and is never mentioned again]].
* WithFriendsLikeThese: Ellie's friendship with Nadine and Magda can come across this way. It's believable that the friendship survives, but Ellie does need a lot of patience.
* WomenAreWiser: The main characters believe this, with Magda and Nadine often making derisive comments about 'schoolboys', despite the characters only being 13/14 themselves. The series repeatedly demonstrates that Magda and Nadine are ''not'' wise in the slightest.
* YourCheatingHeart: In ''Girls in Tears'' when [[spoiler:Ellie catches Magda and Russell kissing]].