''The Fairy Rebel'' is a children's novel by Lynne Reid Banks, author of ''Literature/TheIndianInTheCupboard''. It's a classic fairy story, filled with magic and wonder... except that the person who meets the fairy is a married adult.
Jan and Charlie are a HappilyMarried couple, except that [[LawOfInverseFertility they can't have children]]. When Jan is relaxing in her garden one day, a fairy, Tiki, lands on her. Tiki's different from other fairies--she wears jeans instead of a frilly dress, expresses wonderment about tears and sadness, and vows to help Jan and Charlie have a baby--all things, especially the latter, that are against the rules of the Fairy Queen.
Tiki and her friend Wijic succeed in producing the child, who is given a 'fairy name', Bindi. Bindi, too, is different--she has [[LockedIntoStrangeness a tuft of blue hair amidst the brown]], and she receives magical presents every birthday. For seven years, the family lives peacefully.
But the Fairy Queen won't let this defiance go unpunished...
!!This book contains examples of:
* BeeBeeGun: The Fairy Queen can control wasps.
* BeethovenWasAnAlienSpy: Apparently, Mozart was a fairy baby like Bindi.
%%* BelligerentSexualTension: Tiki and Wijic.
* ColorCodedForYourConvenience: Fairies seem to pick a color and stick with it. Tiki has pink and green and Wijic has red, both for clothing and for the type of flowers they're associated with.
%%* ChekhovsGun: Bindi's blue hair.
* EvilMatriarch: The Queen sends fairies babies to raise. God help you if you try to manage it yourself.
--> '''Queen:''' Of course they love me! It is my first command that they love me!
%%* FairyCompanion: Tiki and Wijic.
%%* FairyGodmother: Tiki describes herself as Bindi's "fairy-mother".
%%* HappilyMarried: Jan and Charlie.
* IJustWantToBeNormal: Wijic, to a degree. He hates all the sweet food fairies eat and thinks of normal schoolboy life as a fascinating, novel experience.
%%* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Wijic.
* LanguageEqualsThought: Implied for the fairy society. Their language is missing many words for concepts the Queen doesn't want them to latch onto, including boredom, loneliness, and all familial terms except "baby". Not always effective, as Tiki certainly feels lonely when [[spoiler: she's jailed in the wasp's nest]]; she just didn't know the proper word for it.
%%* LawOfInverseFertility: At least at first.
* LimitedWardrobe: Fairies can make their own clothes just by thinking, but Tiki only knows how to make blue jeans or frilly dresses; nothing in between.
** UnlimitedWardrobe: She gets the hang of it.
%%* MoreThanMindControl: The Fairy Queen's necklace brings out the worst in Bindi.
%%* NiceGuy: Charlie.
%%* NotHerself: Bindi, under the influence of the Queen's necklace.
* PerfectlyCromulentWord: "Innesterated". It means exactly the same as incarcerated, only "in a nest".
%%* ScrewThisImOuttaHere: Wijic, when he hears [[spoiler: Tiki has been innesterated.]]
* SpellMyNameWithAnS: Wijic, weirdly enough, writes his own name differently from ''the narration''. When he signs his name on the rose petal, it's spelled with a K.
* SweetTooth: Jan, Tiki and Bindi all like their sweets. All three are rather chubby.
** Fairies as a rule seem to eat and drink sweet things like nectar. Wijic is notable for being completely sick of it.
* TheTragicRose: A wilted rose is the first sign that the Fairy Queen has noticed Bindi's existence and taken offense to the situation.
* YouGottaHaveBlueHair: Bindi's blue hair is magic.