''The Fairy Rebel'' is a children's novel by Lynne Reid Banks, author of ''Literature/TheIndianInTheCupboard''. It's a classic fairy story, filled with magic and wonder... except that the person who meets the fairy is a married adult.
Jan and Charlie are a HappilyMarried couple, except that [[LawOfInverseFertility they can't have children]]. When Jan is relaxing in her garden one day, a fairy, Tiki, lands on her. Tiki's different from other fairies--she wears jeans under a frilly dress, expresses wonderment about tears and sadness, and vows to help Jan and Charlie have a baby--all things, especially the latter, that are against the rules of the Fairy Queen.
Tiki and her friend Wijic succeed in producing the child, who is given a 'fairy name', Bindi. Bindi, too, is different--she has [[LockedIntoStrangeness a tuft of blue hair amidst the brown]], and she receives magical presents every birthday. For seven years, the family lives peacefully.
But the Fairy Queen won't let this defiance go unpunished...
!!This book contains examples of:
* BeeBeeGun: The Fairy Queen can control wasps.
* ColorCodedForYourConvenience: Fairies seem to pick a color and stick with it. Tiki has pink and green and Wijic has red, both for clothing and for the type of flowers they're associated with.
* ChekhovsGun: Bindi's blue hair.
* FairyCompanion: Tiki and Wijic.
* HappilyMarried: Jan and Charlie.
* IJustWantToBeNormal: Wijic, to a degree. He hates all the sweet food fairies eat and thinks of normal schoolboy life as a fascinating, novel experience.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Wijic.
* LawOfInverseFertility: At least at first.
* LimitedWardrobe: Fairies can make their own clothes just by thinking, but Tiki only knows how to make blue jeans or frilly dresses; nothing in between.
** UnlimitedWardrobe: She gets the hang of it.
* MoreThanMindControl: The Fairy Queen's necklace brings out the worst in Bindi.
* NiceGuy: Charlie.
* SpellMyNameWithAnS: Wijic, weirdly enough, writes his own name differently from ''the narration''. When he signs his name on the rose petal, it's spelled with a K.
* SweetTooth: Jan, Tiki and Bindi all like their sweets. All three are rather chubby.