The Exiles is the [[DevelopmentHell unfinished]] trilogy by [[MelanieRawn Melanie Rawn]]. Set on the planet of Lenfell, what has been written follows the trials of the [[RuleOfThree three]] Ambrai sisters, Glenin, Sarra and Cailet as they proceed to bring about great social and political change in their society, with a lot of death and destruction in their wake. So far only 'The Ruins of Ambrai' and 'The Mageborn Traitor' have been published, with 'The Captal's Tower' as yet unwritten.
!!The stories contain the following tropes:
* AbsurdlySharpBlade: Gorynel's sword is one of the Fifty, forged with fire and magic. It can cut through magical protection as easily as it cuts through flesh.
* AfterTheEnd: The Waste War turned lush farmland into The Waste, ended civilization as it was known, and introduced an extremely high rate of mutations into the population. It was also probably responsible for Wraiths, and led directly to the Wraithenbeast Incursions. The story picks up some thousand years later, with society rebuilt as a matriarchy designed around the idea of isolating and denying reproductive rights to anyone with physical deformities.
* AnyoneCanDie: Oh lord, how anyone can die.
* BadassGrandpa: Gorynel Desse, legendary warrior and protector of the Mage leader, the Captal, is an exceptionally old man who can still make the Malerris think twice about attacking.
* BigBad: Annaiyas in the first book, with Glenin and Auvry for [[TheDragon Dragons]]. Glenin in the second, with her son [[spoiler:Jored]] as her [[TheDragon Dragon]].
* BrokenBird: [[spoiler: Caitlet]] after Glenin is through [[MindRape mindraping her]] and mutilating her body.
* CorruptPolitician: A few, happy to take Malerris money for their services.
* Doorstopper: Both published books have approximately 900 pages in paperback form. With appendices
* EldritchAbomination: Wraithenbeasts.
* FantasticLightSource: Mage Globes are useful light sources, among their many and varied uses.
* GenreShift: High Fantasy, but there are significant hints that this series is far more ScienceFiction than it lets on.
* LadyLand: Women hold political power, run businesses, and lead their families, while men are generally expected to keep a home, raise children, and look pretty. A few men hold some small power, and a handful are politically prominent, but only at the sufferance of wives or sisters. Only one man manages to operate under his own personal authority, and he had to have every female relative up to and including distant cousins assassinated for that to be so - and Scraller Peleris is still only an odious lickspittle for Annaiyas.
* LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters: And don't start thinking about the family trees.
* MindRape: a favored tactic of Glenin.
* MysticalWaif / TykeBomb: Caitlet, until [[spoiler:Gorynel turns her into the new Captal.]]
* NotInThisForYourRevolution: Collan Rosvenir is very a very reluctant member of the Rising, at least until Sarra works her magic on him.
* OneSteveLimit: An interesting subversion, everyone on Lenfell is named after the same 300 plus saints, and yet with a cast of thousands they're never repeated.
* OurGhostsAreDifferent: The whole person less their body, and generally confined to the Dead White Forest. [[spoiler:Until the wraith of Annaiyas ''eats all the others'' in a post-mortal bid for revenge.]]
* RedemptionEqualsDeath: [[spoiler:Auvry]] takes the brunt of Glenin's killing strike at [[spoiler:Caitlet]].
** [[spoiler:Gorynel's]] death has shades of this. It's never outright stated, but heavily implied, that he is responsible for this entire mess.
* SlapSlapKiss: Collan and Sarra in a nutshell, at least for the first book.