''[[http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Crystal_Star The Crystal Star]]'' is an oddity in the StarWarsExpandedUniverse. Released in TheNineties during the indecisive seeming period before the release of ''ThePhantomMenace'', this book was the work of science-fiction author Vonda [=McIntyre=]. She had previously written a number of books set in the ''Franchise/StarTrekExpandedUniverse'', and the influence certainly shows.
In a ''Star Wars'' galaxy now populated by centaurs, "[[PhantasySpelling wyrwulfs]]" and strange creatures from other universes, ''The Crystal Star'' involves Luke and Han investigating a bizarre cult while Leia searches for her and Han's kidnapped children. There's also something about anti-Force, Han's ex-girlfriend and Imperial revivalists.
!!Tropes featured in this work include:
* AcademyOfEvil: Hethrir's Dark Side Academy.
* AntiMagic: Substitute magic for the Force, and you've got the general gist of it.
* BigBadWannabe: Hethrir believes he has to sacrifice a baby to become this. No, seriously. [[spoiler: To be fair, the baby is Anakin Solo]].
* CoolShip: Leia's starship, and Hethrir's mobile planet.
* CoversAlwaysLie: Luke is not at the center of the galaxy.
* DeathBySex: Ghostlings suffer this.
* EldritchAbomination: Waru.
--> "Hethrir's scientists breached the walls between dimensions and brought into existence a massive slab of meat covered with shining golden scales. Though this entity, Waru, lacked discernible sensory organs, it was highly intelligent and could communicate in a deep resonating voice."
* FantasticRacism: Hethrir is particularly racist against nonhumans despite being one himself.
* GenocideFromTheInside: Hethrir destroyed his own planet and people in an attempt to curry favor with his master.
* HeroicSacrifice: For all the criticism the book gets, it is often praised for its characterisation of Han at the very end of the Hethrir plot; [[spoiler: Luke and Leia have been consumed by Waru and Han realises he has to go in after them after asking Chewie to look after his family.]]
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: Hethrir was the one who summoned Waru, so it's only fitting that in the end [[EvilIsNotAToy Waru eats him]].
* MamaBear: Leia. As noted in [[http://web.archive.org/web/20100625042442/http://blogs.starwars.com/abelgpena/92 Abel G. Pena's blog]], [=McIntyre=]'s characterisation of Leia as a mother is one of the better examples in the EU.
* MeaningfulName: Hethrir sounds a lot like "Hitler"; Waru is apparently Japanese for "bad".
* PathOfInspiration: Waru's religion.
* PhlebotinumHandlingRequirements: Hethrir and Rillao's lightsabers lack a traditional on/off switch. Instead, igniting them requires one to use the Force to complete an internal electrical circuit. Hethrir uses the ability to do so as a test for his apprentices (and isn't above rigging it if he doesn't like the apprentice).
* PutOnABus: The ships containing what's left of the Firrerreos jump to hyperspace and are basically ignored by the rest of the book. ''The Essential Guide to Alien Species'' eventually established that they found asylum on the planet Belderone. A happy ending? [[HappyEndingOverride Not so much]]: ''[[Literature/NewJediOrder Force Heretic I: Remnant]]'' gave a throwaway mention that the planet was captured by the Yuuzhan Vong, who enslaved the Belderonians and rendered the Firrerreos [[BusCrash functionally extinct]].
** Luke's lightsaber is blue in this book. He lost said blue lightsaber in ''Film/TheEmpireStrikesBack'' and built a green one in ''Film/ReturnOfTheJedi''. Although he got the blue one back in ''Literature/TheThrawnTrilogy'', he gave it to Mara Jade.
** Also, because this book was written before the chronologically-earlier [[Literature/TheCallistaTrilogy Callista Trilogy]]--which ended only a year before ''Crystal Star''--the early chapters in which Han ribs Luke about finding a woman and having Jedi children (even making jokes about what Obi-Wan was like in his youth) come across as rather mean-spirited even for the smuggler. (I.e., Luke is just coming off of losing Callista, [[RomanticFalseLead the woman he thought was]] the love of his life.)
* SmugSnake: The Proctors of Hethrir's academy.
* StarfishAlien: Waru.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: Almost nothing about this book is ever even referred to again by later material.