''The Book of Negroes'' is a 2007 novel by Creator/LawrenceHill about a young African girl named Aminata who is taken as a slave and her struggle for freedom.
Released in several countries (including the United States) under the title ''Someone Knows My Name'', because apparently publishers were hesitant about releasing a book with the word "Negro" in the title. A [[TheFilmOfTheBook film]] is expected in 2015.
!!Tropes used in this book:
* UsefulNotes/TheAmericanRevolution - It's not central to the plot, but it does happen during the book.
* AntiVillain: Solomon Lindo is a Type IV. Aminata acknowledges that he is a good man at heart, but he can't see that the system of slavery corrupts him for as long as he participates in it.
* AnyoneCanDie - Except for Aminata, of course.
* CursedWithAwesome / BlessedWithSuck: Aminata often points out that her attractiveness was more of a curse than a blessing.
* DeadpanSnarker: Aminata. Sometimes circumstances make her a ServileSnarker.
* DiabolusExMachina - ''So many times.''
* HannibalLecture: A slave trader in Sierra Leone gives one to Aminata near the end.
--> '''Armstrong''': ''Has the colony of Freetown produced a single export? Where is the sugar cane? Where is the Coffee? Are you exporting boatloads of elephant teeth or camwood? You're not even growing corn, or rice. You have no farms under cultivation. You aren't even self-sufficient. There is no profit in benevolence, none. The colony in Freetown is child's play, financed by the deep pockets of rich abolitionists who don't know a thing about Africa.''
** ShutUpHannibal: Aminata's reply.
* [[spoiler: HeelFaceTurn]]: [[spoiler: Solomon Lindo ends up pulling one of these when he comes to New York at the end of the war just to give Aminata her freedom and defend her from Appleby.]]
* IWillWaitForYou - Aminata does this no fewer than three times for Chekura. [[spoiler:The third time, he turns out to be dead.]]
* MarketBasedTitle - ''Someone Knows My Name'' in the United States, Australia and New Zealand.
* PoliticallyCorrectHistory: Averted on both sides. Neither white or black society is shown in a rosy light.
* PluckyGirl - Aminata
* TheRevolutionWillNotBeVillified: Averted. The revolution is shown as very much a case of GreyAndGreyMorality with both sides selfish and hypocritical for all that they have some good points.
* TitleDrop - "It will be called the Book of Negroes." Also an example of AluminumChristmasTrees: the "Book of Negroes" was a [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Negroes real document]], which listed the thousands of slaves who were evacuated during the war.
** The U.S. title is also used in dialogue, but in a rather unimportant conversation early in the book.