A horror novel from 1977, which chronicles the events of a family settling in a house that witnessed a mass murder, and where they eventually get caught up in supernatural shenanigans.
The novel was adapted into film in [[Film/TheAmityvilleHorror1979 1979]] and [[Film/TheAmityvilleHorror2005 2005]].
!!This book has examples of:
* AgonyOfTheFeet: George hurts himself when he stumbles over a lion figurine that was somehow on the middle of the floor, and when Kathy patches him up afterwards, she finds teethmarks on his ankle.
* DramaticDrop: When a bartender learns that George Lutz lives in 112 Ocean Avenue, he is so shocked that he drops the empty beer glass from his hand, and it shatters on the floor.
* EvilIsDeathlyCold: The house is constantly cold, even as George burns through wood and oil to keep up the heat.
* HearingVoices: Ronald [=DeFeo=] claimed that a voice in his head told him to kill his family.
* IdenticalStranger: George comes to learn that he's a dead ringer for Ronald [=DeFeo=].
* NotSoImaginaryFriend: Little Missy tells that she has an imaginary friend called Jodie, who turns out to be the pig apparation that George saw in her window.
* RedEyesTakeWarning: The pig-like demonic creature called Jodie had red glowing eyes, which Kathy sees staring at her at one point.