->''"Only watch your step. This place can be a little rough."''
-->--'''Obi-Wan Kenobi''', ''Franchise/StarWars Episode IV: Film/ANewHope''
''Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina'' is an anthology of ''Franchise/StarWars'' short stories by various science fiction writers (and edited by Creator/KevinJAnderson) about everyone in Chalmun's Cantina when [[TheObiWan Obi-Wan Kenobi]] and Luke Skywalker were there. Practically every member of the crowd who appeared in the cantina scene is either the focus of a story or featured prominently in one of them, and to a certain extent most of the stories connect together to create a larger narrative. If you want to know why the band was in the cantina, this book will tell you. If you're curious about who that demonic-looking guy or the wolfman who appeared for about ten seconds in ''Film/ANewHope'' were, this is the book for you. If you want to know why they don't serve your kind in here... Well, you get the idea. Literally everybody has a story behind them, and this book aims to tell them all.
In this respect, the book is similar to ''Literature/TalesOfTheBountyHunters'' and ''Literature/TalesFromJabbasPalace'', which do the same for the line-up of bounty hunters in ''Film/TheEmpireStrikesBack'' and the Hutt's court in ''Film/ReturnOfTheJedi''.
* AmazingTechnicolorPopulation: Anky Fremp, one of Greedo's childhood friends, is a near-human alien with skin as yellow as cheese.
* AscendedExtra: The entire cast, with Han, Luke, and Obi-wan getting DemotedToExtra.
* BrainlessBeauty: M'iiyoom Onith (beautiful by her ''own'' species standards that is, and Feltipern Trevagg's; by human standards she's hideous). Trevagg even calls her a "bimbo" at one point.
* TheButcher: Labria (real name Kardue Sai'Malloc) is a war criminal (and music enthusiast) known as "the Butcher of Montellian Serat" hiding out on Tatooine from bounty hunters. [[spoiler: He reappears in the final ''Literature/TalesOfTheBountyHunters'' story getting captured by Boba Fett, and is there referred to only as "the Butcher"]].
* CallARabbitASmeerp: The music of the Modal Nodes (the Cantina band) was conceived as an alien interpretation of the music of Benny Goodman. Unfortunately, it gets the in-universe name "[[HaveAGayOldTime jizz]]".
* CorruptBureaucrat: Feltipern Trevagg.
* DefectorFromDecadence: Imperial Stormtrooper Davin Felth sees what TheEmpire is really like and [[spoiler:vows to become the ReverseMole.]]
* EmbarrassingFirstName: Spurch Warhog Goa's first name means "brave bug-catcher."
* [[EtTuBrute Et Tu, Goa]]: [[spoiler:Goa was hired to get rid of Greedo (whose entire clan was sentenced to genocide)]]. These must have been [[spoiler:Greedo's]] first words in the hereafter.
* FacingTheBulletsOneLiner: Owen Lars' last words.
* FantasticRacism: Wuher despises droids at the start of his story because in his mind they're the only lower thing than he is and thus the only thing he can legitimately hate. He has a change of heart when he realizes droids can be useful. Chalmun the Wookie, who owns the cantina, doesn't much like them either, but only because they take up space which could go to paying customers.
* HeelFaceTurn: Davin Felth.
* HumansAreMorons: A definite theme in "The Devaronian's Tale."
-->'''Labria:''' What do you call someone who speaks three languages?\\
'''Labria:''' Someone who speaks two languages?\\
'''Labria:''' Someone who speaks one language?\\
** Which is ironic, because BilingualDialogue is something all people in Star Wars seem to be capable of. In RealLife the joke usually ends with "American."
* InterspeciesRomance: A [[spoiler: fatal]] version between M'iiyoom Onith and Feltipern Trevagg, and a bittersweet one between Dice Ibegon and Lak Sivrak.
** Wuher brews the remains of Greedo into an especially strong drink which he hopes will gain him the favor of Jabba the Hutt.
** [[spoiler: The only meat that H'nemthe females eat is the flesh of their sexual partners.]]
** A human thief once broke into Labria's apartment. "Turns out humans don't taste very good."
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Han Solo, Wuher.
* KarmaHoudini: Navik the Red.
* LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters: Think back to the cantina scene in ''Film/ANewHope''. ''They all have a story here.''
* MadScientist[=/=]DeadlyDoctor: Evazan (the "he doesn't like you" guy at the bar) turns out to be a cross between Dr. Frankenstein and Josef Mengele. Luke's lucky Obi-Wan was there.
* OneLetterName: M'iiyoom [[http://omniglot.com/writing/aurekbesh.htm Onith]] may be this or it may be coincidence.
* OutWithABang: [[spoiler:The H'nemthe]]. Apparently as a result of massive difference in gender ratio (20 males: 1 female), they have evolved the custom of females using their knife-sharp tongues to eviscerate their lovers after sex. The females are otherwise vegetarians and they sincerely believe this is actually the greatest expression of love between the sexes. Both their appearance and mating rituals bear some resemblance to the RealLife praying mantis.
* PardonMyKlingon: Labria's pseudonym is actually a serious profanity in Devaronian. It literally means "cold food," though it apparently loses something in translation. Labria thinks humans are weird for using religion, sex, and excrement as swear words.
* PoorCommunicationKills the [[spoiler:CorruptBureaucrat]], ironically thus saving the galaxy from Sidious, IG-88, and the Yuuzhan Vong (in that order).
* RoaringRampageOfRevenge: Het Nkik tried this. It... [[DownerEnding didn't come off]].
* TooDumbToLive: Greedo, for obvious reasons, [[spoiler:Trevagg]], for trying to court a H'nemthe female and being unaware of a rather vital aspect of their mating rituals.
* TrainingAccident: Part of Davin Felth's backstory. He succeeded, but in doing so pointed out a design flaw in the [[SpiderTank AT-AT walker]], so the colonel shunted him into the stormtrooper corps. Also a CallForward to ''Film/TheEmpireStrikesBack'': the name of the colonel? Maximilian Veers.
* TheUriahGambit: [[spoiler:Greedo's]] death.
* '''[[TropeNamer The]]''' WretchedHive of scum and villainy.
* YouHaveFailedMe: From ''The Ithorian's Tale'':
-->"You know what Lord Vader would do if he were here."