''Stellaluna'' is about a female fruit bat who separated from her mother as an infant by an owl attack. After a long fall, she lands in a sparrow's nest. The mother bird reluctantly [[IncrediblyLamePun takes Stellaluna under her wing]] on the condition that Stellaluna eats bugs and acts like a proper bird. This is in order to keep her from being a bad influence on the mother bird's actual offspring. When Stellaluna grows up, she begins to notice the differences between herself and her adoptive siblings and realises that she is a fruit bat. The book ends on the note that [[AnAesop even though their adoptive family may be outwardly different, they're family, regardless, and still very much the same at heart]].
''Stellaluna'' is a short [[ChildrensLiterature children's book]] published by author/illustrator Creator/JanellCannon in 1993. It was made into an animated straight-to-DVD adaptation with a [[FanonDiscontinuity mixed critical response]], as well as a LivingBooks interactive CD-ROM and a puppet show in Oregon.
!! This book provides examples of:
* AnAesop: The message of the book can be boiled down to: you should be true to yourself and your family will love you anyway. Or alternatively: Adoptive families can be just as loving as biological ones because [[NotSoDifferent deep down, people have more in common than they think]].
* BatOutOfHell: Thoroughly averted. The protagonist is a cute fruit bat struggling to fit in.
* BlackSheep: Considering the fact that Stellaluna is a fruitbat in a family of songbirds, it would be nearly impossible for her to not be a BlackSheep.
* CoolBigSis: Stellaluna's siblings treat her as a cool big sister that they'd like to emulate. When Mama Bird catches them all dangling from the nest by their feet she is not happy.
* CuteClumsyGirl: Stellaluna's inability to land on branches like her siblings makes her come off as one of these.
* ForeignQueasine: Naturally, the prospect of eating bugs doesn't appeal to a frugivore.
* GoodParents: When Stellaluna is reunited with her biological mother she's happy to finally have someone who understands and knows how to care for fruit bats.
* HappilyAdopted: Stellaluna may not have the best relationship with her adoptive mother, but she truly does love and care for her siblings, and they for her.
* IJustWantToBeNormal: Initially Stellaluna wishes that she could be more like her other siblings. She can't land or perch on branches like they can, and she doesn't like the same food or want to sleep the same hours or even in the proper position.
* MeaningfulName: Stellaluna - Star Moon.
* MeddlingParents: A lot of the tension between Stellaluna and her adoptive mother stem from the fact that Mama Bird wants Stellaluna to be more like a bird.
* MissingMom: Subverted with Mother Bat. At first, she's believed to be killed by the owl after Stellaluna falls down from her. Later on, it turns out [[spoiler:she has escaped the owl!]]
** Some editions of the book have small black-and-white pictures alongside the large color ones [[spoiler: showing the mother bat's escape and subsequent search for Stellaluna.]]
* ObliviousAdoption: After a while Stellaluna seems to forget that she's a fruit bat and appears to be genuinely surprised that fruits are delicious and that she can see in the dark.
* ShownTheirWork: While admittedly it was a rather short book, Janell Cannon managed to portray fruit bats rather accurately and never once fell victim to common stereotypes and misconceptions about bats.
* StellarName: See MeaningfulName.
* SuperSenses: Stellaluna's siblings can hardly see anything at night and they don't have much of a [[TheNoseKnows sense of smell]]. Compared to them, Stellaluna practically has SuperSenses.
* TheUnfavourite: Stellaluna.
!! The DVD adaptation provides examples of:
* AdaptationExpansion: Added a wise-cracking superhero jumping spider named "Askari" sidekick and a fashion parrot duo to the story.
** They also made the Owl a bigger threat--a BigBad. As in, a threat to not only to Stellaluna but to the baby sparrows and at the whole forest.
* AscendedExtra: The owl becomes bigger threat. He becomes the main BigBad. He serves as a threat to not only Stellaluna, but also to the sparrow family and the rest of the forest as well. Stellaluna & the baby birds constantly run into him, but they always manage to escape.
** At the climax, [[spoiler: he kidnaps Momma Bird and plans to eat her, but Stellaluna leads the other bats to attack the owl, and he flies away in terror, never to bother anyone again.]]
* HakunaMatata: "Make It Over".
* IWantSong: "(My Whole World's Turned) Upside Down".
* TookALevelInJerkass: The baby birds.
* TookALevelInKindness: Mama Bird.