[[http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Scourge_%28novel%29 Scourge]] is a Franchise/StarWarsExpandedUniverse novel written by Jeff Grubb, set in 19ABY [[note]]19 years after Film/ANewHope, 15 years after Film/ReturnOfTheJedi[[/note]].
Jedi apprentice Toro Irana succumbs to an inexplicable rage that sends him falling fourty stories to his death during a mission. Jedi archivist Vander Zuma is sent to investigate the causes of his student’s death, and to continue Toro’s mission. What follows is a murder-mystery novel involving Hutt clans, spies, revenge-hungry Rodians and [[DrugsAreBad spice traffic]].
This book provides examples of:
* ActionGirl: Reen Irana and Angela Krin, most of the time.
* AwesomeByAnalysis: Mander.
* BadassBookworm: Mander, of course. He’s an ''archivist'' after all.
* ChekhovsSkill: in an early flashback, Toro uses a dangerous move in a practice duel, forcing Mander to come up with a counter really fast. During the lightsaber duel at the climax of the book, [[spoiler: Mika]] uses exactly the same move, thinking that no Jedi could possibly come up with an effective counter to such an unusual technique in time. No Jedi, except the one who taught the technique’s inventor…
* CombatPragmatist: snagged your lightsaber in your clothes? Roll out of the way until you get it out… backwards. Oh well, just use it to punch the bad guy in the gut then.
* DeadGuyJunior: Reen and Eddey’s brand-new ship, the ''New Ambition,'' named after the recently blasted-to-bits-then-crashed ''Ambition.''
* DisneyVillainDeath: how Mander disposes of Parella the Hutt.
-->'''Mander:''' [[BondOneLiner We had a falling-out.]]
* EvenEvilHasLovedOnes: Popara the Hutt is genuinely concerned by his son’s disappearance, which is apparently a rare trait among the [[ChronicBackstabbingDisorder Hutts]].
* EvilCannotComprehendGood: [[spoiler:Mika]] can’t understand why the Jedi won’t join him.
* ExpectingSomeoneTaller: many people mention that Mander looks too normal to be a Jedi.
* FantasticRacism: Hutts vs. Bothans is often alluded to, and Humans vs. everyone else shows up on Endregaad.
* InsistentTerminology: Mander is an archivist, not a librarian.
* LudicrousGibs: [[spoiler:Popara the Hutt]]’s death. Huge body goes boom, sending internal organs flying everywhere.
* JediMindTrick: Mander uses it twice. The first time is to take care of a small-time drug dealer on Endregaad. The second time is to prove to Angela that [[spoiler:Mika]] used one on her.
* NiceHat: Eddey steals one after a fight and keeps it for a while.
* ObstructiveBureaucrat: the Corporate Sector Authority is almost entirely made of these.
* ThePlague: planet Endregaad suffers from one.
* PoweredArmor: worn by a ''Hutt,'' of all people. It has a lot of features, but nothing against [[DisneyVillainDeath unplanned falls from great heights.]]
* RevengeBeforeReason: the Bomu clan of Rodians. Also, Zonnos [[spoiler:after Popara’s death]].
* SiblingRivalry: Zonnos lets Mander know that if he doesn’t find Mika alive… that’s okay, too.
* SicklyGreenGlow: Varl, the Hutt homeworld.
* ShootTheHostage: Mander’s solution when Zonnos takes Reen hostage. Needless to say, she wasn’t too happy with the decision.
* TechnicalPacifist: Mander is even more adverse to fighting than most Jedi. He’s still moderately good at it, though.
* UnstoppableRage: a drug-induced one starts the story. As it happens, it’s one of the main effects of the drug Tempest.
* TheVoiceless: most of the time, everyone’s first impression of Eddey Be’ray. He’s not mute, he just doesn’t speak much to people he doesn’t know and trust.
* WoundedGazelleGambit: [[spoiler:Mika]]’s tactic.