A novel written by Joseph O'Connor, about a number of refugees aboard a boat, called ''[[TitleDrop Star of the Sea]]'', who are escaping from 1840s famine-stricken Ireland.
!! This novel provides examples of:
* AbusiveParents: David Merredith's father.
* ArrangedMarriage: David Merredith is predisposed to women of his own class only.
* Creator/CharlesDickens: He makes an appearance in the novel, and the writing itself has a certain Dickensian air.
* CrapsackWorld: Starvation, disease, evictions and violence are rampant, and nobody cares.
* DeadPersonImpersonation: Pius Mulvey, crippled and unemployable, kills a schoolteacher in order to take his job and survive.
* GreatEscape: Pius [[spoiler:brutally murders a prison guard in order to escape from a London Jail]].
* IrishPriest: Nicholas, Pius's brother, becomes one of these.
* ShootTheShaggyDog: [[spoiler:A few lucky characters make new lives for themselves in America, but the majority die or are condemned to poverty in the slums of New York. The story concludes shortly before the Easter Rising, suggesting all the suffering did was to trigger and fuel several years of war.]]
* TangledFamilyTree: [[spoiler:Supposedly with the Merredith and the Mulvey families.]]