Spin-off from ''Literature/TheSevenwatersTrilogy''. Written by Creator/JulietMarillier.
Sibeal, one of Lord Sean of Sevenwatersí daughters, is taking the final steps before making her druid vows. To make sure that she fully understands her decision, Ciaran, her mentor, sends her to Inis Eala for a summer to be with her sisters. Shortly after her arrival, there is a shipwreck off of the coast and only three survivors are discovered. One of them, a young man who has lost his memory, catches Sibealís eye.
As she helps to nurse him back to health, the island becomes plagued by bad luck and nightmarish dreams. The truth is uncovered as her charge, Felix, regains his memory and shares the reason behind the storm. The two of them must undertake a perilous journey to right a terrible wrong. For Sibeal, this may prove to be one of her easier challenge, as she begins to doubt her religious decision and must soon make a choice that will break her heart.
!!This book contains examples of:
* AndroclesLion: Sibeal befriends Svala and offers to help her when she discovers the danger of her situation. [[spoiler: This proves to be the key in entering and exiting Svalaís island safely.]]
* TheBeard: [[spoiler: Knut.]] He even tries to kill Felix to keep his relationship with [[spoiler: Svala]] a secret.
* BecauseDestinySaysSo: Sibeal believes it is her destiny to become a druid because of her meetings with the Lady of the Forest as a child.
* BeingPersonalIsntProfessional: This is Sibealís mindset for the majority of the book. Ciaran admits to it as well.
* CantCatchUp: Sibeal constantly talks about how much more skilled Ciaran is than her, never mind that she uses elemental magic twice (once in a place where no one elseís magic works), can communicate mentally with sea creatures and manages to alert Cathal to her presence from the opposite end of the island without moving.
** Does Sibeal realize that Ciaranís Otherworldly? Even with years of training, ordinary people would never be able to match his skill level.
* CuteAndPsycho: Svala acts normal for periods of time before lashing out in a psychotic manner.
* DeclarationOfprotection: The men on Inis Eala are very protective of their women. It doesn't matter if they've lived there a long time or are just visiting.
* TheDogBitesBack: [[spoiler: Svala]] finally snaps back at [[spoiler: Knut]] right before they reach her island.
* ElementalPowers: Sibeal manipulates fire and Cathal manipulates water.
* [[spoiler: EverybodyLives]]: [[spoiler:Near-drowning, perilous sea journeys, murderous companions, deadly water currents and starvation be damned! Weíre all gonna make it, guys!.]]
* EveryoneCanSeeIt: Sibeal and Felix are frequently teased about the amount of time they spend together. They do each eventually have a LoveEpiphany, although Sibealís takes a lot longer to happen than Felixís.
* FaintingSeer: Sibeal faints or feels ill if she is around extreme emotion or comes out of a trance quickly.
* TheFettered: Johnny. His main function on Inis Eala seems to be upholding the ideals of his band.
* GutFeeling: Sibeal is a seer, after all. She canít help it.
* HaveIMentionedIAmGay: Although itís mentioned in ''Literature/HeirToSevenwaters'', Johnny and Garethís relationship is openly stated and laid out in more detail this time around.
* IdentityAmnesia: Felix canít remember anything, including his own name.
* InHarmonyWithNature: Sibeal prefers to be surrounded by nature. Sheís also good with the elements.
* IWantToBeARealMan: Felix laments that heís not a strong or brave man like his brother. That doesnít stop him from trying to be.
* IWouldSayIfICouldSay: Felix slowly regains his memory but refrains from sharing most things in order to protect his new friends.
* KarmicDeath: Thatís what you get for raping sea creatures, [[spoiler: Knut.]]
* LoveConfession: Felix takes up a whole page confessing his love for Sibeal. She jams hers into one paragraph.
** His is very poetic and thought out though. She just kind of blunders through it.
** Can you blame the poor girl? Itís taken her years to become a druid. It only took one summer for her to question that vocation. She hasnít had much practice with these things.
* TheMusicMeister: Felix starts singing [[spoiler: while riding on the back of a sea monster]] to try and keep the group calm.
* NotWhatItLooksLike: [[spoiler: Knut and Svalaís]] relationship.
* RescueRomance: Sibeal and Felix take turns saving each other.
* ShrinkingViolet: Sibeal prefers quiet and solitude to the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Cue a random shipwreck.
* TheSpeechless: Svala.
* TangledFamilyTree: All you have to do is take a look at the family tree in the beginning of the book. A flow chart might not even help in this case.
** Itís even more tangled when you consider Evan and Cathal, one of whom has a black father and the other who has an Otherworld father. EveryoneIsRelated here.
* UselessProtagonist: Fans seem to be divided about Felix. Half of them think that heís absolutely useless and half say that he gets better towards the end.
** Itís probably because he doesnít do much physically like the other male protagonists have in past books. He uses his voice, whether itís telling a story or singing to keep spirits up or debating important matters, because thatís where his strength lies. He still saves people, just not with brute force.