Ben Mason is a detective.
He also happens to be undead.
The web serial [[http://www.friedfiction.com/index.html?series=323001 ''Sacreya's Legacy'']], by Samantha Lienhard, begins with its zombie protagonist working in the city of Minstor, which he fled to just before the ZombieApocalypse broke out in his hometown, Vogan Point. You see, while he returned from the dead with his memories, emotions, and intelligence intact, the same canít be said for all zombies. In fact, Ben would be perfectly happy staying as far from that nightmare as possible.
Unfortunately for him, itís not that easy.
His new client wants him to go after her sisterÖ and she has gone straight into the heart of Vogan Point. Following after her, Ben finds that there is more to this case than he originally thoughtóand completing it will be no easy task.
!! This series provides examples of:
* BigDamnHeroes: [[spoiler: James Colby and his officers, at the end.]]
* BodyHorror: After running out of the antidote, Ben has been slowly decaying.
* CluelessDetective: Ben seems to have shades of this. By the end, even he realizes that he failed horribly at the actual detective work.
* GenreShift: While it might begin like [[ParanormalInvestigation a detective story centered around zombies]], the zombie aspect arguably takes over, especially as Ben [[CluelessDetective has some trouble figuring things out]].
* HorrorHunger: Ben suffers from this all the time, although he learned to suppress it, with Dr. Sacreya's help. Meat from animals works as a substitute, although he still eats it raw.
** [[spoiler: Sasha eventually overcame this as well, although not before spreading the virus.]]
* ImmuneToBullets: Ben considers this to be one of the best parts about being a zombie, even if it isnít absolute. Itís the reason he didnít attempt to carry out his dream of fighting crime until after his transformation.
* MadScientist: Dr. Sacreya is a benevolent example, as he was honestly trying to do a good thing (though there are traces of ForScience in his reasoning, as well).
* MostWritersAreWriters: Before becoming a zombie detective, Ben was a poet.
* NotQuiteDead: [[spoiler: Dr. Sacreya]] isn't dead.
** [[spoiler: Neither is their attacker, despite what Sacreya thinks.]]
* OurZombiesAreDifferent: Ben [[spoiler:(and Sasha)]] is a mishmash of Type C, Type F, Type P, and Type R. The hordes at Vogan Point fit all except for Type R.
* TheVirus: A single zombie escaped into Vogan Point resulted in disaster due to this.
* WellIntentionedExtremist: Given the situation in Vogan Point, it's easy to see why [[spoiler: Sasha]] believes all zombies should be destroyed. She doesn't care that Ben can think and reason; she includes him [[spoiler: and later herself]] in this.
* ZombieApocalypse: Of the local variety. The world isnít in much danger, due to the quarantine efforts at Vogan Point.