"[[http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Rogues_in_the_House Rogues in the House]]" is a ConanTheBarbarian story by Creator/RobertEHoward. First published in January, 1934.
* AngryGuardDog: Nabonidus has one
* BigFancyHouse: Nabonidus has one, but it has no servants
* TheBerserker: The effect of a powder on men
* TheDandy: Murillo
* EnemyMine: with Nabonidus
* EvilChancellor: Nabonidus is this to the king.
* ExactWords: Nabonidus promises not to have the king kill Murillo.
* TheExile: Murillo is not sure whether he's been warned to opt for this.
* FingerInTheMail: An ear is sent to Murillo
* FrazettaMan: Thak, however see ItCanThink.
* GadgeteerGenius: Nabonidus who uses a lot of ClockPunk tech to safeguard his house.
* GambitPileup: A fairly good description of the plot. Murillo arranges Conan's escape from prison to have him kill Nabonidus, but then ends up going to Nabonidus's mansion to do the job himself when he hears that the escape was botched. Conan, meanwhile, manages to break out of prison on his own and decides he might as well carry out the murder for Murillo like he promised. Unfortunately, this is the exact night that Nabonidus's pet Ape-Man Thak decides to rebel against his master. AND THEN, partway through the story, a [[HeroOfAnotherStory band of political rebels]] breaks in with the intent of assassinating Nabonidus (they do [[MuggingTheMonster about as well as you'd expect]]). ''Everyone'' wants to kill Nabonidus, and they all want to do it ''right now'', and nothing goes according to plan for any of them.
* GasChamber: Used to disburse the dust of the gray lotus
* GreatEscape: Arranged fro Conan
* GrayAndGreyMorality: As per the norm for the [[CrapsackWorld Conan universe]], the unnamed city where this story takes place is ''astoundingly'' corrupt and decadent. Murillo is a courtier selling state secrets to rival kings. Nabonidus is a Mad Scientist/Dark Wizard type with all kinds of vaguely evil plots in motion. And between them is Conan, amoral sword-for-hire. Everyone pretty much agrees that of the three of them, Conan is the least corrupt, because at least he's not pretending to be anything but a thief and mercenary.
* ItCanThink: Thak is not just inhumanely strong, he is also much more intelligent than he looks.
* TheMole: Murillo sells secrets to foreigners
* NobleFugitive: Murillo thinks of this but it might not be allowed.
* TheRat: the priest who betrayed Conan
* WasOnceAMan: The ape-man
* WorthyOpponent: At the end Conan acknowledges Thak as this.