Heinrich Mann's novel about a despotic teacher, which was the basis of the movie ''Film/TheBlueAngel''.
!!This novel provides examples of:
* AppropriatedAppellation: Unrat's nickname, after he gains dubious power over the town.
* BrilliantButLazy: Lohmann, who slacks off studying and educates himself instead, but still would get good grades if Unrat graded him justly.
* DespotismJustifiesTheMeans: For Unrat, ruining the former disobedient students is worth ruining his own fortune and allowing his wife to cheat on him.
* DevotedToYou: Ertzum to Rosa.
* EmbarrassingNickname: The basis of the Professor's mania, hatred and tyranny towards his students is the nickname "Unrat" ("Garbage"), which is completely justified in-universe: he is described as very ugly, disheveled, prematurely aged, rather incompetent and a failure in anything including his own former marriage.
* FieryRedhead: Rosa.
* ForbiddenFruit: Lohmann for Rosa.
* ILoveYouBecauseICantControlYou: Rosa for the immune Lohmann.
* InLoveWithLove: Lohmann.
* LovingAShadow: Ertzum, loving Rosa for reminding him of a peasant girl, who made him a man.
* MarriedToTheJob: Unrat to the school, later to seizing power on the town.
* NouveauRiche: The reason for which the wealthy men of the town are so easily ensnared and swindled in Unrat's gambling ring.
* ReallyGetsAround: Rosa.
* SleepsWithEveryoneButYou: Rosa is a cheap hooker but she wouldn't be with Ertzum for his whole inheritage. Justified in-universe by the fact Ertzum--despite his aristocratic standing--is extremely stupid and boorish, so stupid he makes the Professor appear brilliant by comparison.
* TheTrickster: Kieselack.
* UnholyMatrimony: Unrat and Rosa.