-->''Portnoy's Complaint: A disorder in which strongly felt ethical and altruistic impulses are perpetually warring with extreme sexual longings, often of a perverse nature...''
''Portnoy's Complaint'' (1969) is an American novel by Philip Roth. The novel tells the humorous monologue of Alex Portnoy, a sex-obsessed Jewish youth who confesses his often bizarre sexual encounters to his psychotherapist. Though it was originally banned in several countries due to its explicit content, it is now often ranked among the greatest novels of the 20th century, and is one of Roth's most popular books, along with ''AmericanPastoral''.
[[folder: This novel provides examples of: ]]
* AuthorAvatar: Roth and Alex Portnoy share a date of birth, a hometown and an ethnic/religious background, so this trope is inescapable.
* CountryMatters: One sexually explicit chapter (hell, they all are) is titled "Cunt Crazy."
* ADateWithRosiePalms: An entire chapter, "Whacking Off," is dedicated to Alex's experiences with masturbation. In his teenage years, he masturbated at every opportunity, and lived in fear of being caught.
* HormoneAddledTeenager: As a teenager, Alex was obsessed with sex and girls, but muchto his frustration, he never really grew out of it.
-->Day and night, at work and on the street-thirty-three years old and still he is roaming the streets with his eyes popping. A wonder he hasn't been ground to mush by a taxicab, given how he makes his way across the major arteries of Manhattan during the lunch hour. Thirty-three, and still ogling and daydreaming about every girl who crosses her legs opposite him in the subway!
* JewishMother: Combined with FreudianExcuse and probably OedipusComplex. Alex attributes his sexual disappointments to his overbearing mother.
* MatzoFever: Alex tells how in his teenage years, he thought that he has to pretend to be Christian to attract Christian girls. Later, he realized that there's no need for it, because there are plenty of Christian women who are attracted to Jewish men just like him.
* [[OnlyKnownByTheirNickname Only Known By Her Nickname]]: The Monkey, most notably.
* SexIsEvilAndIAmHorny: Alex is obsessed with sex, and feels guilty about it.
* ShiksaGoddess: Alex's girlfriends — The Monkey, The Pumpkin and The Pilgrim — are this to him.
* TheShrink: Alex is narrating this entire book to his psychotherapist.