The ''Peter and the Starcatchers'' saga, written by Creator/DaveBarry and Creator/RidleyPearson, is a series of fantasy novels; starting out as prequels to Sir J.M Barrie's ''Literature/PeterPan'', but gradually deviating from its plot. The series contains four books:
* ''Peter and the Starcatchers''
* ''Peter and the Shadow Thieves''
* ''Peter and the Secret of Rundoon''
* ''Peter and the Sword of Mercy''
A new series in the same universe of ''Peter and the Starcatchers'' begins with the book ''The Bridge to Neverland''.
!!This series provides examples of:
* ActionPrologue: ''Sword of Mercy'' opens with [[spoiler:a battle between Charlemagne and Ogier the Dane.]] Receives a CallBack at the end of the novel [[spoiler:with one between Peter and Hook.]]
* AlwaysSaveTheGirl: Every time the villains organize a HostageForMacGuffin.
* AndroclesLion: The mermaids side with Peter after he heals their leader with some starstuff.
* BadBoss: In the very first scene with Black Stache, we see him tying up his two fattest sailors and marooning them in a dory, just to make the ship lighter. (They survive.)
* BigDamnHeroes: Peter, in the first book, when Slank has a knife to Molly's throat.
* BunglingInventor: Uncle Neville in ''The Sword of Mercy''.
* CatchAFallingStar: Peter catches Wendy in the fourth book.
* ChangelingFantasy: The common orphan boy Peter turns out to have a very extraordinary family history.
* CharacterFilibuster: Chapter 20 of the first book, "Molly's Story", is one of these.
* CombatPragmatist: Black Stache. Smee is quite surprised to hear that he's planning to take the ''Wasp'' in a fair fight.
* CreatorCameo: J.M. Barrie and his [[BigFriendlyDog Saint Bernard Porthos]] make a short appearance in ''Shadow Thieves'' when he helps Peter and gives him directions to Molly's house.
* DarkIsEvil: Ombra is a textbook case.
* DressedToPlunder: Played just as straight as in the original ''Peter Pan''. Nerezza even turns the ArtificialLimbs up a notch with an intimidating wooden nose.
* EmbarrassingRescue: The heroes rescuing Hook from Rundoon in the third book.
* EmptyPromise: Peter finds himself making these to the other boys quite often.
* EnemyMine: Shining Pearl and the pirates in the third book.
* EvenBadMenLoveTheirMamas: It's mentioned that Black Stache only ever loved his mother, and [[SelfMadeOrphan felt bad about that time he marooned her]].
* EvilGloating: Slank to Molly in the first book.
* FalseReassurance: King Zarboff. See YouSaidYouWouldLetThemGo.
* FiveManBand: The orphan boys from St. Norbert.
** TheHero: Peter
** TheLancer: James
** TheBigGuy: Tubby Ted
** TheSmartGuy: Thomas
** TheChick: Prentiss, the youngest of the group
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: In the first book, Slank is quite clearly heard having sex with Molly's governess.
* GunshipRescue: In ''The Secret of Rundoon'', George and the orphan boys pilot a flying boat to attack King Zarboff's palace just before the rocket launch.
* HeroicWillpower: Used by Peter to resist [[spoiler:Ombra taking him over]].
* HookHand: Captain Hook. (Obviously.)
** In the first book, Slank takes Molly hostage and demands the trunk of starstuff in return.
** In the second book:
*** Ombra and his crew capture Shining Pearl for the same reason. The Molluscs don't have the starstuff, though, so they end up using her to guarantee safe passage back to their ship.
*** The Others kidnap Louise Astor and hold her ransom for the starstuff.
** In the fourth book:
*** [[spoiler:von Schaffen]] captures [[spoiler:Tinker Bell]] and holds her hostage to swap with Peter.
*** Shining Pearl is once again used as leverage to get the starstuff from Fighting Prawn.
* IHaveYourWife: Used to set up a HostageForMacGuffin in the second book.
* JustBetweenYouAndMe: This happens pretty much every time The Others capture one of the good guys. In the third book, Ombra admits he just wants to see Leonard's reaction once he knows what's really going on.
* LivingShadow: A major plot point from ''Shadow Thieves''-onwards.
* MadScientist: Dr. Glotz, the evil scientist who devises a plan to force large quantities of starstuff to fall.
* MayflyDecemberRomance: Peter and Molly
* MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels: When Molly is talking to the porpoises, she [[RunningGag keeps telling them her teeth are green when she means hello.]]
* NarrativeProfanityFilter: Commonly used.
-->''And then it erupted from him, a string of oaths so vile that Peter reached out to cover Tink's tiny ears.''
* NeverGrewUp: Peter
* TheNoseless: Nerezza lost his nose in a battle and wears a fake one over the hole, which he removes whenever he wants to smell something. The larger aperture seems to have enhanced his sense of smell.
* NotEvenHuman: Ombra.
* OrphanageOfFear: The series begins with Peter and the other boys leaving one of these to board the ''Never Land''.
* RunningGag: You know that whenever Peter translates Tinker Bell's speech for someone, that's ''not'' what she said...
* SustainedMisunderstanding: A standard gag between Smee and the Cap'n. Tubby Ted gets in on it too:
-->'''Tubby Ted:''' But we need them for our scurvy!\\
'''Prentiss:''' We don't have scurvy, you twit.\\
'''Tubby Ted:''' Then why do we have the figs?\\
'''James:''' They're for the monkeys.\\
'''Tubby Ted:''' The monkeys have scurvy?
* TactfulTranslation: Peter's translations for Tinker Bell.
* TakeAThirdOption: Black Stache, torn between chasing after Astor and taking the trunk or calling his bluff and pursuing the ''Wasp'', decides to take a third option: he tosses his British Navy prisoner overboard. [[BatmanGambit Predictably]], Astor [[ChronicHeroSyndrome turns around to rescue the drowning sailor]], coming close enough to the ''Sea Devil'' for Black Stache to harpoon his dory.
* TheyCalledMeMad: Dr. Glotz cackles this in his first appearance.
* TrilogyCreep: Originally the book started as a trilogy, and then came ''Sword of Mercy'', acting as a full fledged prequel to the events of ''PeterPan''.
* TwoPartTrilogy: The first work can actually stand by itself, acting as an introduction with the major plot points (of that book) more or less resolved. Around ''Shadow Thieves'', the series starts to blend together into a bigger story arc.
* UnspokenPlan: Shining Pearl's plan to attack the Scorpions.
* TheWatson: Peter. There's a whole chapter where Molly goes on a CharacterFilibuster to tell him all about Starstuff and the history of the Starcatchers, and another bit where Fighting Prawn explains Mr. Grin's origin story to him.
* YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness: At first, Slank planned to kill Little Richard for this reason. But by the time he actually does it, it's for [[ImAHumanitarian a different reason.]]
* YouSaidYouWouldLetThemGo: In the third book, after [[spoiler:Peter locates the starstuff. Zarboff decides to feed the boys to the snake anyway--he only promised that if Peter ''didn't'' do as he was instructed, he ''would'' feed them to the snake. He didn't say anything about ''not'' feeding them to the snake if he ''did'' follow the instructions.]]