A novel by Creator/AgathaChristie published in 1932, featuring HerculePoirot.
While staying at a Cornish resort, Poirot meets Nick Buckley, the beautiful young mistress of End House, who has escaped several attempts on her life. He decides to try to protect her and track down the would-be killer, and comes to End House where he meets an assortment of mysterious characters: Nick's cousin and lawyer Charles Vyse, the housekeeper Ellen, Mr and Mrs Croft who are leasing the cottage on Nick's property, Nick's friends Frederica Rice, Jim Lazarus, and George Challenger, and lastly her cousin Maggie, whom she asked to stay with her at Poirot's suggestion. On the night of a firework party, a corpse is found, wearing Nick's shawl...
Peril at End House contains examples of the following tropes:
* BetterToDieThanBeKilled: The killer commits suicide through the use of [[spoiler:cocaine hidden in her wrist-watch.]]
* BitchInSheepsClothing: [[spoiler:Nick.]]
* CoincidentalDodge: [[spoiler:Subverted.]]
* CorruptTheCutie: Implied as a backstory.
* DrugsAreBad: Played with.
* FakingTheDead: [[spoiler:Nick]] is pursuaded by Poirot to do this, in order to expose [[spoiler:the Crofts]].
* ForgingTheWill: [[spoiler:The Crofts try to pass off a forged will while Nick is playing dead]].
** Another, less direct version as well. [[spoiler: While Nick doesn't present a forged will, she does try to forge being the "Magdala Buckley" mentioned in the will when it actually referred to her cousin]].
* HatDamage: Happens to Nick while she is in conversation with Poirot.
* HauntedHouse: End House has shades of this. [[spoiler:Lampshaded when it is suggested that the house's influence made Nick succumb to evil.]]
* JustOneLittleMistake: The use of a love letter that does not mention [[spoiler:Nick's serious operation, despite being dated for that time. Also her RevealingCoverup at the end.]]
* KillTheCutie: Poor [[spoiler:Maggie]].
* KnownOnlyByTheirNickname: Nick, Freddie, and Maggie. [[spoiler: The fact that both Nick and Maggie have the first name Magdala but neither use it is what makes the plan possible]].
* MakeItLookLikeAnAccident: This trope appears to be in play for the attempts on Nick's life. [[spoiler:This is her cover for the crime she is planning.]]
* MurderByMistake: [[spoiler:Inverted. Nick dressed up her murder of Maggie as this.]]
* NeverSpeakIllOfTheDead: Nick tries to invoke this with Freddie's dead husband, [[spoiler:ostensibly to spare Freddie, but really to cover up her own murder]].
* OneSteveLimit: [[spoiler:Averted. Nick and Maggie are both called "Magdala Buckley", and this is what makes Nick's plan possible.]]
* RevealingCoverup: [[spoiler:Nick]] tries to frame [[spoiler:Mrs Rice]] by placing a gun in her coat, unaware that she is being watched.
* SickbedSlaying: The poisoned chocolates sent to [[spoiler:Nick. Subverted in that not only is she not dead, but she sent them to herself as a ruse.]]
* SpookySeance: A dramatic one that culminates in [[spoiler:Nick entering the room as her own ghost.]]
* TomboyishName: Nick Buckley.