''Peeps'' is a novel by ScottWesterfeld, which concerns Cal Thompson, a carrier for a parasite which turns people into "peeps" - monstrous anti-versions of themselves, repelled by anything they once held dear. Recruited by the Night Watch, he's on a mission to capture the girls he has infected. However, it turns out there is more going on than he suspected; with things under the earth starting to stir...
The book had a companion book, ''The Last Days'', published in 2007.
!!This novel provides examples of:
* BeneficialDisease: While being a full blown peep sucks, carriers of the disease get the perks of super strength and agility, night vision, and extended lifespans without becoming cannibals. That's not to say there aren't significant downsides to being a carrier.
* BigEater: Cal, and any other peeps or peep hunters, to feed the parasite
* CelibateHero: Cal, not that he wants to be
* EverythingsBetterWithBacon: Lace quits being a vegetarian because bacon smells good
* FatCat: Corny
* FriendsRentControl: Lacey's apartment, and all the ones in her building, have weirdly low rent. She tags along in part to understand why, and how she can keep it that way.
* GayBarReveal: Dick's Bar, the one and only home of the Bahamalama-Dingdong. With such fruity drinks and even a very [[FreudWasRight telling name]], this isn't much of a surprise. It's also worth noting that they served Cal booze when he was at least two or three years underage.
* InnateNightVision: Part of being a Peep. Also [[spoiler: how Lace confirms that Cal is a carrier]]
* OurVampiresAreDifferent: Peeps are not vampires. But since most people are fairly fond of light, they ''do'' tend to dislike it, and favor the night.
* StagesOfMonsterGrief: Before the story starts, Cal was in denial about his status as a carrier. Namely, he thought the Atkins diet was giving him night vision and the fact that every girl he kissed went insane was a coincidence.
* SwarmOfRats: the rat carriers of the parasite in the basement of Lace's building
* UnresolvedSexualTension: Cal and Lace
* WasItAllALie: Lace feels hurt that Cal [[spoiler: didn't mention that he is a carrier for a disease which prevents him from being romantically involved with ''anyone'', but still spent most of the novel flirting with her]]