''Once Upon a Marigold'' is a YoungAdult novel by Jean Ferris.
Edric the troll lives a quiet, comfy life in the woods with little more than his two dogs and his campaign to get the Tooth Fairy fired on his mind. Of course, that all changes abruptly when he finds a little boy hiding in the bushes, who follows him home and refuses to leave. Edric ends up raising the boy, named Christian, but he quickly grows up and begins nursing a crush on the local princess. When Christian leaves the cave to find his place in the world, it isn't long before he gets wrapped up in something much, much bigger than he could anticipate.
There is a sequel, ''Twice Upon a Marigold''. The author is currently working on ''Thrice Upon a Marigold''.
* AmnesiacDissonance: [[spoiler: Olypmia]] in the second book.
* ArrangedMarriage: All over the place.
* BadBoss: [[JerkJock Rollo]], captain of the palace guards, does everything in his power to have Christian killed just because his [[ReallyGetsAround girlfriend]] found him cute. And of course, there's Olympia, who would have anyone who even looked at her wrong beheaded if she had her way.
* BigFriendlyDog: Edric's dog, Beelzebub, is a wuss who hides behind his size.
* ChangelingFantasy: Subverted in that [[spoiler: Christian ran ''away'' from his royal heritage to live in the woods with a troll.]]
* ChekhovsGun: The phoenix charm, the blacksmith's flying machine scraps, and the loose stone on the castle terrace are all integral to the climax.
* DumbBlonde: Subverted by Marigold's triplet sisters, who were cowed into acting dumb and submissive by Olympia.
* GodSaveUsFromTheQueen: Olypmia, who, aside from being a RichBitch, casually drugs her husband and plots the death of their youngest child to have the throne for herself.
* HenpeckedHusband: King Swithbert. He deeply, ''deeply'' regrets always letting her wife Olympia have her way with everything. When they were first married, he admired her passion, her determination, her headstrong-ness. Unfortunately, this got way out of hand, leading to the shrew that Olympia now is.
* ImpossiblyTackyClothes: Olympia forces Marigold into these often, since she believes Marigold too [[HollywoodHomely plain]] for a regular PimpedOutDress to work.
* ItsAllAboutMe: Olympia, in spades. In the second book, [[spoiler: upon returning to the kingdom of Beaurivage after a year of amnesia]], she interprets the OhCrap reaction of the peasants as speechless delight at the return of their queen. The book points out that she literally ''tries'' to find fault with everything her daughters and servants do.
* MisterMuffykins: Edric's second dog, Hecate, ''looks'' like one, but is really just desperate for attention. Olympia's vicious ferret, Fenleigh, plays this completely straight.
* ObfuscatingInsanity: King Swithbert might act like a senile old man, but that's only because [[spoiler: Queen Olympia frequently slips drugs into his drinks.]] Once he decides to [[spoiler: pour said drinks into a [[ThatPoorPlant nearby potted plant]]]], he almost immediately feels better. He still acts like a senile old man to prevent [[spoiler: Olympia from finding out that she's been discovered]].
* OrphansPlotTrinket: The gold phoenix charm in Christian's suit, which [[spoiler: marks him as the heir to Beaufort's kingdom.]] Played with in that Christian never looks at or touches it after going to live with Ed.
* RebelliousPrincess: Marigold, through and through. By the end, her sisters have joined her as well.
* SuddenlySuitableSuitor: [[spoiler: Christian.]]