''Number The Stars'' is a HistoricalFiction children's novel by Lois Lowry.
The novel is about a Danish girl named Annemarie Johansen and her Jewish friend Ellen Rosen. They live in Copenhagen, Denmark during WorldWarII. They are forced to move out into Annemarie's Uncle Henrik's home after Nazi soldiers demand to know the whereabouts of Ellen's Jewish family. Ellen, now disguised as Annemarie's dead sister Lise, joins the Johansen family in Uncle Henrik's home. Annemarie has to face her fears in order to save her friend.
It received the ''John Newbery Medal'' in 1990.
!!This novel provides examples of:
* AnnoyingYoungerSibling: Kirsti.
* BookEnds: In the beginning, Annemarie is racing with Ellen on the street. At the end, she is running to deliver a package that will help the Rosens escape.
* CheatingWithTheMilkman: When the Nazis search the Johansens, Ellen is pretending to be Annemarie's sister. She has dark hair that is different from the others' blond hair, so the Nazis ask if they got her from the milkman.
* DeathByNewberyMedal: [[spoiler:Peter dies during the time skip]], and Lise died in the backstory [[spoiler:when a Nazi car struck her]]. However, Ellen and other Danish Jews survive and are evacuated.
* [[spoiler:DidNotDieThatWay]]: We are told that Annemarie's older sister Lise was killed when she was hit by a car near the beginning of the Nazi occupation of Denmark. At the end of the book, Annemarie's parents tell her the truth: [[spoiler:Lise was a member of LaResistance]]. She was hit by a car, but [[spoiler:it was a car driven by Nazis who deliberately ran her down as she tried to flee from them]].
* DramaticNecklaceRemoval: The Nazis are coming, and Annemarie realizes that Ellen still has her Star of David necklace on, so she yanks it off just in time. However, she warns her that it will hurt, and at the end, she asks her father to fix it so she may wear it herself until Ellen comes back.
* LaResistance: The Danish Resistance
** UndergroundRailroad: Helping the Jews hide or escape from the Nazis.
* DyeOrDie: Peter has red hair, so he must wear a hat to keep the Nazis from discovering him.
* MakeItLookLikeAnAccident: [[spoiler: Lise died because she was hit by a car. In the end, it is revealed that she was intentionally hit by the Nazis, because she was part of LaResistance]]
* ObfuscatingStupidity: Annemarie and Mrs. Johansen do this when dealing with the Nazis.
* RedHeadedHero: Peter.
** HeroesWantRedheads: [[spoiler: Lise's involvement in the Danish Resistance makes her one and she was engaged to Peter.]]
* TitleDrop: During the [[spoiler: fake funeral]], Peter reads from Psalm 147, which describes God as "He Who [[TitleDrop numbers the stars]] one by one."
* WorldWarII: The setting
* YouDontWantToCatchThis: A casket is used to hold the supplies of the Jews in hiding. A German soldier comes in and they say that they are holding a funeral for "Great-Aunt Birte". The soldier tells them to open the casket, but Annemarie's mother says that "Great-Aunt Birte" died of typhus, and the doctor warned them against exposure.