A novel by Willa Cather set in Nebraska, telling a story focused on first generations of new settlers.
!!Tropes found in ''My Ántonia'':
* AlliterativeName: Lena Lingard.
** Tiny Sodderball among other normal-sounding American names.
** Antonia is not all that common in America, but it was ''very'' common Czech name for girls of that time.
* BreakTheCutie: Ántonia is a lovely, active girl who has faced more than a fair share of troubles - severe winters in poverty, her father's suicide, working in the fields like a man, taking care of her younger siblings, escaping a rapist (though her gut feeling prevented her from being attacked), her fiancé's abandonment, becoming a single mother (which was stigmatizing) – but she remains unbroken. What a girl. What a woman.
* DudeMagnet: Men have always been attracted to Lena Lingard.
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler:Mr Shimerda]] feels too desperate and too homesick that he sees no other way. He AteHisGun and caused a great distress to his family.
* FirstPersonPeripheralNarrator: Jim Burden. His narration speaks mostly of the fascinating people around him than of his own life, though it is clear from some throwaway lines near the end of the book that he has had an interesting one.
* FriendToAllChildren: Antonia is a natural-born mother and great with all children who in turn all love her back and adore her stories and her cooking.
* HenpeckedHusband: Ambrosch Shimerda ends up marrying a very fat woman with a farm of her own who bossed him around.
* InnocentBlueEyes: Jim Burden has those, and at forty he still looks young and his clear baby blues contribute a lot to this look.
* KindheartedCatLover: Yulka, Antonia's younger sister, has a cat and plays with it often.
* LanguageBarrier: When the Shimerdas came to Nebraska, they could use only several very basic (and not entirely correct) expressions. Mr Shimerda asks Jim to teach his Antonia English and promises him to give his nice gun once Jim grows up. Jim narrates about their language lessons and mentiones how Czech language sounded to him when they talked to each other and he didn't understand. Mr Shimerda has a hard time in Nebraska, but he cheers up a bit when he befriends two Ukranian guys.
** Lena Lingard has lots of siblings and as the eldest daughter, she has to take care of them. She's not too thrilled about it and says she doesn't want her own family as a result.
** Ántonia ends up having a family of eleven children.
* MilkingTheGiantCow: When Jake and Jim Burden come to retrieve a harness they lent to the Shimerdas, they have an argument and fight because Ambrosch doesn't want to give it back and actually tries to give them a shabby one. Mrs Shimerda does this gesture:
-->''"Mrs. Shimerda threw her hands over her head and clutched as if she were going to pull down lightning. 'Law, law!' she shrieked after us. 'Law for knock my Ambrosch down!'"''
* PrecociousCrush: Jim has one on Antonia although she's much older and it continues into his adulthood as his marriage is implied to be very loveless. He even tells her kids. It's really creepy.
* PurpleEyes: DudeMagnet Lena Lingard has deep violet eyes. She's one of the four immigrant hired girls who work in town and who are considered great beauties. Jim is of the opinion that the eldest daughters in the first generation of settlers like Ántonia Shimerda or Lena were extraordinary and actually the most interesting people of the family, even though their families often favoured younger children (as they had better chance of becoming truly American). Later in the story, Jim and Lena are in an implied sexual relationship.
* MurderSuicide: [[spoiler: Mr. Cutter kills his wife and then himself. He does it because he doesn't want her family to inherit their money.]]
* SuicideIsShameful: [[spoiler:Antonia's father]] shoots himself because he was too homesick and couldn't bear the hard life. The Shimerdas are Catholic while other familes in the neighbourhood are mostly protestants. Jim's grandparents are sympathetic to the poor family and another Catholic explains to them that for the Shimerdas, the suicide is a terrible blow with extra layer of suffering.
* TomboyishName: Ántonia also goes by Tony.
* TranslationByVolume: Jim's grandmother always talked to new settlers very loudly and slowly.
** Ántonia is a natural beauty and has beautiful brown eyes. Jim describes her eyes as "big and warm and full of light, like the sun shining on brown pools in the wood".
** Lena has deep violet eyes -- very unusual colour. She's considered a great beauty with an exotic, Scandinavian touch.