"[[http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Shadows_in_Zamboula Man-Eaters of Zamboula]]" (a.k.a. "Shadows in Zamboula") is a ConanTheBarbarian story written by Creator/RobertEHoward. First published in November, 1935.
Conan's travels across Hyperborea bring him to Zamboula, a city-state heavily populated by a slave-caste of blacks from a specific region. Having wasted his money gambling, as usual, Conan prepares to retire for the night to a pre-rented room when a friend of his tries to warn him of the dark secret of the city; the black slaves of the city are all members of the Darfar, a tribe that practices cannibalism in homage of dark gods, and because of their numbers, the townsfolk allow them to run rampant at night so long as they only prey upon beggars and travellers. Conan scorns this claim, and the rumors that the inn at which he stays makes extra money by selling travellers to the slaves for their cannibal banquets, but finds himself forced to believe when he is attacked in his bed by a cannibal slave.
Slaying his assailant, Conan wanders out into the night, where he finds himself drawn to rescuing a woman who is being threatened by more cannibals. She gives her name as Zabibi, and begs Conan to aid her, using promises of gold and her body. Firstly, he catches and subdues her lover, who has been driven mad, then he goes with her to the Temple of Hanuman to retrieve an antidote to the "love potion" that rendered him this way.
There, he fights a holy strangler and kills the high priest to retrieve the antidote, only to learn that Zabibi hasn't been telling him the whole truth. Given gold as a reward, he leaves -- though not before stealing a magical talisman from her, and murdering the innkeeper who almost got him killed.
* BadassBoast: Conan gets one when faced by the professional strangler, who he promptly throttles to death in turn. Though he notes afterwards that he was mostly bluffing; a few seconds either way and his opponent genuinely ''would'' have strangled Conan first.
* TheDulcineaEffect: Conan aids a random woman he meets on the street, simply because he can't bear the thought of allowing a woman to be slaughtered and devoured.
* TheGamblingAddict: Conan gets his room in advance so he doesn't gamble the money he needs to pay for it away beforehand.
* HumanSacrifice: Baal-pteor trained as a strangler to offer these up to gods in his homeland before becoming hired by the Temple of Hanuman. He goes to break Conan's neck for this
* IfICantHaveYou: The intended love potion drives her lover mad so that he attacks her, because she got it from a man whose advances she rejected.
* InfallibleBabble: Warns about the InnOfNoReturn.
* InnOfNoReturn: Conan books a room at an inn where the malevolent innkeeper Aram Baksh sells travellers to the cannibal slaves for money.
* LoveMakesYouCrazy: Conan flatters Zabibi with this.
* TheManBehindTheMan: The prince, it is said, is ruled by his mistress.
* MasterOfIllusion: Conan realizes he's fighting one of these.
* MoralMyopia: Since the slaves murder only strangers, the townsfolk don't care.
* NeckSnap: Used for human sacrifice in one distant country, and one of the temple executioners is working in the city.
* PayEvilUntoEvil: At the end of the story, Conan removes the tongue from the innkeeper mentioned above, mutilates his beard, and gives him to the cannibal slaves to be eaten.
* PillowPistol: Conan sleeps with his steel, which is how he avoids being cut down by the cannibal who sneaks into his room.
* ThePowerOfBlood: Why no blood can be shed during the sacrifice.
* RedEyesTakeWarning: The EvilSorcerer has 'em.
* RingOfPower: The Star of Khorala.
* TheReveal: Zabibi is [[spoiler: Nafertari, the mistress of the town's ruler, Jungir Khan.]]
* SacredHospitality: Conan is warned about the inn by a man he had traveled with for many month, and stayed in his tent.
* TamperingWithFoodAndDrink: Zabibi slips her lover something.
* TownWithADarkSecret: The local slaves are all cannibals who are allowed to run riot at night because the townsfolk consider them too useful to give up.