''Make Room! Make Room!'' is a 1966 ScienceFiction novel by Creator/HarryHarrison.
It is set in the CrapsackWorld of [[BigApplesauce New York City]] in the far-future year of 1999, beset by overpopulation and environmental collapse, where a bland artificial food called soylent (made from soy and lentils) is the best thing most people ever get to eat.
It is now best-known as the inspiration for the film ''Film/SoylentGreen''. (The [[AllThereIsToKnowAboutTheCryingGame famous secret]] of Soylent Green was invented for the movie, and isn't in the book.)
!!This novel provides examples of:
* CrapsackWorld: In addition to the everything crapsack-y about the movie, the transportation system has ''completely'' broken down. In other words, everyone is trapped in the city; the only non-human-powered vehicles mentioned are old buses taken from a history museum, used by the police and running on extremely low grade fuel.
* EatTheDog: "Leg of dog" is one of the rare delicacies offered at a black-market butcher shop.
* TheEndIsNigh: A secondary character in the novel is a defrocked priest who's eagerly awaiting the turn of the millennium, which he assumes will bring the end of the world.
* FutureFoodIsArtificial: Soylent steaks made of soy and lentils are an expensive item.
* GlobalWarming: Barely a page goes by without someone complaining about the ever-present humidity... in New York at winter time.
* NewYearHasCome: The novel ends shortly after midnight on January 1, 2000.
* OnlyElectricSheepAreCheap: Even soy-based faux steak is expensive and worth practically rioting over.
* PostPeakOil: Cities effectively become their own totally isolated city states when the oil becomes too rare to use. The only form of long-distance transport mentioned are large freighters (shipping food to the millions effectively trapped in cities); on the local level, motorized transit has been replaced with human-powered "pedicabs" and "tugtrucks".
* TwentyMinutesIntoTheFuture: The book was written in 1966 and set in 1999.