''Lunatics'' is a 2012 comedy novel written by DaveBarry and Alan Zweibel.
Phillip Horkman is a relatively pleasant nice guy who owns a pet store called The Wine Shop, and has more than a few DoggedNiceGuy tendencies. Jeffery Peckerman is a loud, rude, obnoxious slob with more than a few outdated beliefs. Thanks to a call of offsides during a peewee soccer game, Peckerman and Horkman's paths intertwine to the point they become international terrorists, freedom fighters, hijackers, and even guests of Donald Trump.
!!Tropes included in the novel:
* AccidentalHero: Peckerman and Horkman. How else could you explain getting aid to Africa because [[spoiler:Peckerman had the runs]]?
* AchievementsInIgnorance: Peckerman and Horkman chock up a lot of their escapes from the law and/or death to this.
* ADateWithRosiePalms: Peckerman, [[ItMakesSenseInContext in a refrigerator crate]].
* AmoralAttorney: The Frickers. Sharisse is actually happy when her husband is thrown off the side of the cruise ship they're on.
* ButtMonkey: Philip Horkman, most of the time.
* CorruptCorporateExecutive: Donald Trump.
* CrypticallyUnhelpfulAnswer: Whenever one of the two protagonists typically asks a question, they're told to either shut up or that they'll "know when you get there."
* DeusExMachina: Used intentionally throughout the book, and PlayedForLaughs each time.
* DoggedNiceGuy: Peckerman and Horkman, moreso with the latter.
* DumbassHasAPoint: Several times, the much more level-headed Horkman has to concede that Peckerman is right about something. Conversely, Peckerman silently notes a few points where Horkman was especially clever.
* EarnYourHappyEnding: Despite all the heartbreak, frustration and outright absurdity, [[spoiler:Peckerman and Horkman get off relatively scot-free from their ordeal, and even have their businesses expand because of their misadventures]].
* ForWantOfANail: The entire plot could have been avoided if Horkman had not called Peckerman's daughter offsides in the peewee soccer game.
* GettingTooOldForThis: Brian Willaims, after Peckerman and Horkman [[spoiler:end up nominated for President]], quits his job.
* GroinAttack: An NYPD police officer is accidentally shot in the groin by Peckerman, while said officer was [[ImprobableAimingSkills flying a helicopter]].
* HilarityEnsues: Boy, does it ''ever''.
* HonorBeforeReason: Horkman. He even tries to help a pirate who ''just tried to kill him''.
* KarmaHoudini: Sharisse Fricker. [[spoiler:She threatens a ship captain with a fake bomb scare, flees to Central America, and eventually gets an investment in the Panama Canal.]]
* LaResistance: Peckerman and Horkman run into one in Cuba.
* LovableCoward: Peckerman. He constantly tries to ditch Horkman or even get him killed, but at least is smart enough to see what's going on in front of him.
* ShootTheShaggyDog: Sue and Arnie Kogen, two old folks who have absolutely nothing to do with the plot, end up arrested [[spoiler:because Peckerman set them up to have a gun]], and die in jail.
* SuddenDownerEnding: [[spoiler:Peckerman ends up in jail for life after what he did at the second soccer game between him and Horkman.]]
* TakeThat: To Donald Trump and NBC Nightly News.