"Kate Crackernuts" is an English FairyTale collected by Creator/JosephJacobs in ''English Fairy Tales''. It's a GenderFlip of ''Literature/TheTwelveDancingPrincesses''.
Kate's mother, who is a queen, marries Anne's father, who is a king. Anne is prettier than Kate, so the queen consults with a henwife, who after two tries manages to replace Anne's head with a sheep's one.
Kate discovers this, wraps Anne's head with a linen cloth, and takes her by the hand to lead her as they go out to find their fortune.
When they asked for lodging, they found a king's castle, where there were two princes, one of whom was sick, and anyone who stayed the night with him vanished. Kate took the job.
The next night, the prince got up in the darkness and rode off. Kate jumped on the horse as well, and when he announced who he was, she added herself. She found that it was TheFairFolk, who made him dance even when he was collapsing with exhaustion. The next two nights, she discovered a way to disenchant Anne, and then the prince. She married the prince, and meanwhile his brother had fallen in love with Anne at first sight, so they married too.
Full text [[http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/twelvedancing/stories/katiecrackernuts.html here]].
* DancesAndBalls: Singularly unpleasant ones, as you would expect from the Fair Folk.
* DistressedDude: the sick prince
* DoubleInLawMarriage: It ends with two sisters marrying two brothers
* FairestOfThemAll: The queen's motive for attacking Anne.
* TheFairFolk: Rare birds for a fairy tale: actual fairies.
* GreenEyedMonster: The start of it all
* InvoluntaryDance: The prince is not allowed to not dance
* LoveAtFirstSight: Both princes and princesses.
* OneSteveLimit: Added. In the source, both the princesses were named Kate. Jacobs decided it was too confusing.
* TheQuest: They set out to seek their fortune.
* RescueRomance: Kate gets this.
* StandardHeroReward: Kate gets this.
* WickedStepmother: Kate's mother.
* WickedWitch: The henwife who helps the queen