[[quoteright:265:http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/6587879_808.jpg]] ''Horns'' is a dark fantasy novel from 2010 and the second publication from American writer Creator/JoeHill.
One morning, Ignatius "Ig" Martin Perrish awakes with a massive hangover. Something that seems more and more common for him these days. Especially since the anniversary for the night his girlfriend and the light of his life, Merrin Williams, was brutally raped and murdered and her disfigured body was tied to a cherry tree, is rapidly approaching. To his own horror, Ig was arrested for the crime. Though the charge against him was dropped, his name was never cleared, and most of the citizens in his hometown still believes that his rich and influential family protected him against his rightfully deserved punishment. Left by most of his friends and held at a distance by his family, Ig has felt trapped in what can only be his own personal hell.
Maybe that is why, on this one particular morning, a pair of horns has sprouted on from his temples.
While first assuming the horns to be a mere hallucination, simply his addled brain's way of expressing the torment and sorrow he has felt, Ig soon discovers that they are indeed real as other people acknowledge their existence. But for some reason, their reaction to the prominent growths is strangely casual. What is even more weird is that all the people Ig meets seem compelled to freely confess their most depraved, perverted and violent urges and wishes to him. He also finds out that he has the power to influence them to act upon these urges, and are capable of reading a person's innermost secrets through psychical contact. These powers could help him find Merrin's killer.
!!Provides Examples Of:
* AntiHero: Ig
* BeardOfEvil: Part of Ig's transformation is a stylish devil goatee.
* BigRedDevil: Ig is turning into the classic image of Satan, starting with the horns. In time he's bald, sports a goatee, red-skinned, and even finds a pitchfork to brandish.
* ChildhoodBrainDamage: [[spoiler:It is heavily implied to be the reason why Lee Tourneau is a remorseless psychopath.]]
* ConsummateLiar: [[spoiler:Lee Tourneau]]
* FeedItWithFire: [[spoiler: Lee beats Ig to a pulp, locks him in his car and sets it on fire. Ig manages to release the parking brake and the car rolls into the river. When he climbs from the wreckage, he learns he was in no danger because of a new power: fire heals him]].
* FieryCoverup: Ig's father believed that Ig was Merrin's killer, and he paid to have the evidence destroyed. Evidence which would have cleared Ig. Leaving everybody in town to suspect he was guilty and that his father's money protected him.
* FromBadToWorse: After his horns have caused his grandmother, mother, and father to confess many horrible secrets to him, Ig already believes that he has heard the worst, and doesn't expect his brother, Terry, to be able to blurt out anything that could surpass it, and tells him to get it over with. Terry then tearfully tells him that [[spoiler:he knows that Lee Tourneau killed Merrin]], which reduces Ig to a screaming mess for a couple of minutes.
* AGodAmI: [[spoiler:Lee Tourneau]] believes that he once, for just a brief moment, held the power of God, [[spoiler:when it actually was the result of a light case of brain damage from landing on a pitchfork with the back of his head]].
* GodIsEvil: Ig concludes that the reason why God allowed Merrin to be raped and killed is because he is actually not very fond of humans, and detests women in particular, because they, like him, can create life and also because they can redefine love as they see fit. He also compares him to a gangster, only offering his protection in exchange for blind faith and worship.
* HeldGaze: Merrin first catches Ig's attention in church by flashing light in his face so he'll look up and see her staring at him.
* IWantMyBelovedToBeHappy: [[spoiler: Ig finds a letter from Merrin explaining their break up. She's dying of the cancer that killed her sister and pushed him away to spare him the pain. She hopes he'd find love and a family elsewhere because she wants the best for him]].
* JerkWithAHeartOfJerk: [[spoiler:Lee Tourneau]]
* LivingLieDetector: Ig compels people to confess their sins and their innermost thoughts.
* MommyIssues: [[spoiler:Lee Tourneau despises his mother and slowly tortures her as she dies of kidney failure]].
* OutOfTheInferno: [[spoiler:After being locked inside a burning car, Ig finds out that not only does fire not harm him, he is actively healed by it. His clothes do, however, [[ClothingDamage react to high temperatures in the way you would expect]].]]
* ProngsOfPoseidon: Ig hears a nearby commotion, and grabs the first weapon-like object in the ruined foundry without really seeing what it was. It turns out he grabbed a pitchfork.
* RedRightHand: [[spoiler:Lee Tourneau]] has a damaged, filmy eye from a childhood accident.
* SatanIsGood: Along with his GodIsEvil moment, Ig argues that the devil is the only higher being who really loves humans for what they are, despite their flaws.
* ScrewTheRulesIHaveMoney: Everybody believes Ig killed Merrin and that his family's money saved him from justice. Including his family, who paid to "save" him from justice.
* SecretlyDying: [[spoiler: Merrin had developed her hereditary cancer]].
* ShoutOut: To Music/TheRollingStones' "Sympathy for the Devil" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want". To the point where the final part is entitled "the Gospel According to Mick and Keith".
* TookALevelInBadass: Ig
* TheUnfavorite: Ig is very well aware that his parents doesn't like him as much as Terry, and knows that his father in particular is disappointed in him because he was unable to uphold the family tradition of playing the trumpet, but he first realizes the full extent of their dislike when his horns starts working on them.
* VoiceChangeling: One of Ig's later powers is mimicking another's voice.