''Half Upon A Time'' is a FracturedFairyTale novel by James Riley, published in 2010. It was the 2011 NCTE Notable Children's Book in the Language Arts.
The story focuses on Jack, who shares the same name as his father, the central figure of Literature/JackAndTheBeanstalk. Jack is at the bottom of his class when it comes to learning Princess Rescue, a skill he sees as pointless as there are no unwed princesses left to rescue, anyway.
None, that is, until a girl named May literally falls out of the sky.
What follows is an adventure where Jack and May try to find and rescue the girl's missing grandmother, and escape the mysterious figures who seem to be hunting them. Along the way, they meet and team up with a prince named Phillip, and a few other recognizable characters as well.
The book was followed by a sequel called ''Literature/TwiceUponATime'', and a third book called "Literature/OnceUponTheEnd".
!!Tropes from the novel:
* ActionGirl: May starts growing into this.
* BadassGrandpa: Jack's Grandfather, though now he's more of a RetiredBadass.
--> '''Jack''': ''I should be able to just stick out my arms, and have a princess fall right into them!''
* BelligerentSexualTension: Jack and May, oh so much.
* BreakTheCutie: [[spoiler: Sorry, May, but your Grandmother is the Wicked Queen.]]
* ButtMonkey: Poor Jack just can't get stop getting beat up on, can he?
* CannotTellALie: Phillip.
* ChekhovsGun: The magic bridle, a magic bean that once belonged to Jack's [[Literature/JackAndTheBeanstalk father]], and an enchanted knife taken from a witch's cabin.
* DeadpanSnarker: Jack and May have their moments. May is particularly snarky [[spoiler: until she trades her sarcasm to an imp in exchange for Jack's safety.]]
* DownerEnding: [[spoiler: The first novel ends with May learning that her Grandmother is actually the Wicked Queen, and that she, Jack, and Phillip have just unwittingly unleashed her on the world.]]
* EvenEvilHasLovedOnes: [[spoiler: The Wicked Queen still clearly cares for May, in her own way.]]
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Despite having a serious grudge against Malevolent, The Wolf King refuses to slaughter her when she's rendered helpless by [[spoiler: Jack's bridle]], and so he frees her instead.
* EvilWeapon: What everyone assumes about the swords of The Eyes. Jack is frequently mistrusted just for carrying one.
* FairFolk: Several appear. One takes up residence in May's hair.
* FairyGodmother: Merriweather, to both Phillip and May.
* FairyTaleFreeForAll: Several classic fairy tale characters appear in supporting roles.
* FateWorseThanDeath: May's grandmother informs Jack that if he miscasts a spell, one of the possible consequences is that he will cease to exist.
* FailureHero: In one way or another, Jack keeps finding ways to fail. [[TookALevelinBadass At first.]] Given that his full name is [[MeaningfulName Jack the]] ''[[ThirteenIsUnlucky Thirteenth]]'', this should come as no surprise.
* FlyingBroomstick: Jack and May steal one from a Witch. It seems a bit empathic, as it seems to prefer May to Jack.
* GingerbreadHouse: Jack and May find themselves in one after fleeing The Huntsman.
* GuileHero: Anytime Jack does something awesome, it owes a lot to this.
* ImAHumanitarian: Many of the monsters, especially the witch and the giant that Jack and May run afoul of.
* ItWasAGift: Jack's sword, given to him while he was in the mouth of a giant.
* KissOfLife: Overlapping with DudeShesLikeInAComa, Jack does not want to try this with an unconscious May at his grandfathers persistence. Hilarity ensues.
* LiteralGenie: How deals with the prison imp work.
* NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast: A few. Most notably The Black Forest and Malevolent. Actually subverted with Malevolent, as that is not her real name, but a pseudonym forced on her by her fellow fairy queens when she was exiled.
* NiceJobBreakingItHero: Nice job, Jack, May, and Phillip, for [[spoiler: releasing the Wicked Queen back into the world with her minions.]]
* OurWerewolvesAreDifferent: The Wolf King is a TalkingAnimal who has learned to take human guise as he sees fit.
* RescueRomance: The point of Jack's school is to teach him and his fellow peasants to rescue princesses so they can marry them. Somewhat subverted, as the other students are in it more for the Kingdom they'll receive rather than the heart of the girl they're rescuing.
* RoyalsWhoActuallyDoSomething: Several in the story.
** Phillip slays giants, looking for the one who killed his Father.
** Malevolent is a Fairy Queen who casts powerful curses and is generally feared.
** The Wolf King helps Jack, May, and Phillip find May's Grandmother. [[spoiler: He also serves her in her war against the other royals who oppose her, as she is the Wicked Queen.]]
** Rapunzel, Snow White, and Rose Red all led their forces against the Wicked Queen fourteen years ago. [[spoiler: Rapunzel and Rose Red still are.]]
* ScaledUp: Malevolent, who turns herself into a Dragon. [[spoiler: It doesn't help her, because of Jack's magic bridle.]]
* SkunkStripe: May is blonde with a lock of hair dyed blue.
* TrueName: Comes up a couple of times. At one point, [[TheFaceless a witch]] refuses to tell Jack her name, because [[LampshadeHanging "names have power".]] And May manages to freak out a prison imp when she correctly guesses his family name.
* WeaksauceWeakness: [[spoiler: The Wicked Queen]], who is vulnerable to ColdIron.
* ValuesDissonance: In universe, May is perplexed that anyone would think she would be married at the age of 14. Jack, however, felt it was a reasonable question to ask.
* VoluntaryShapeshifting: The Wolf King and Malevolent.