[[caption-width-right:242:Our heroine and her tiny dragon. And yes, [[PajamaCladHero those are pajamas]].]]'''''Greystone Valley''''' is a 2013 children's fantasy novel by Charlie Brooks. The story follows the adventures of a [[PluckyGirl plucky 12-year old]] named Sarah, who finds herself [[HeroicBSOD retreating into fantasy literature]] after the death of her father. After making an errant wish, she finds herself in the titular fantasy world, where she winds up teaming with a nearly illiterate wizard, a homophobic swordsman, and a miniature dragon against a warlord who seeks to conquer multiple worlds. And she has to do all this [[PajamaCladHero while still in her pajamas]].
The author is pretty openly affectionate toward other fantasy classics, and has cited ''Literature/AlicesAdventuresInWonderland'' and the ''Literature/ChroniclesOfPrydain'' as specific influences. The website can be found [[http://greystonevalley.wordpress.com here]], and includes excerpts of the novel as well as a lot of bits of world information to help flesh the setting out.
!! Greystone Valley contains examples of:
* AChildShallLeadThem: Everybody seems quite accepting of the fact that they’re following a 12-year old girl.
* ActionGirl: Sarah, eventually.
* AllThereInTheManual: The [[http://greystonevalley.wordpress.com book’s website]] offers a lot of additional lore about Greystone Valley and the characters that is only touched upon in the books, as well as what might be a few potential sequel hooks.
* AllTrollsAreDifferent: As explained in the [[http://greystonevalley.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/creatures-of-greystone-valley-trolls supplemental material]], trolls develop rapidly and adapt to their surroundings. This creates stupid but deadly mountain trolls and tiny but good-hearted house trolls, among others.
* BloodKnight: Baelan. He's frustrated with the lack of battles worth fighting in Greystone Valley and wants to open up the valley's access to other worlds specifically so he can build new armies and spend the rest of his life in battle.
* CloudCuckooLander: Each of Sarah’s companions, in their own way.
* CrouchingMoronHiddenBadass: Dax, who seems crazy and harmless at first but winds up being the best swordsman in the land. Arguably Kay and Keeley as well, both whom have their moments.
* TheDragon: Aries, to Baelan.
* TheEeyore: Dax. And how.
* EveryProperLadyShouldCurtsy: Sarah does this specifically because it seems like the proper thing to do, given the pseudo-medieval setting.
* EvilSoundsDeep: Played straight with Aries, whose voice is described as similar to a rumbling volcano.
* TheFairFolk: Greystone Valley (and other worlds as well) are home to the fey, which cover most traditional fair folk in mythology. They do have a temper, though.
* KidHero: Sarah especially, but Kay as well.
* TheLoad: Kay, to an extent. His spells get Sarah into more trouble than not, although he does come in handy from time to time.
* NonHumanSidekick: Keeley the tiny dragon.
* PajamaCladHero: Sarah spends about two-thirds of the book running around in dirty blue pajamas.
* PluckyGirl: Sarah herself. And, if Adlin’s account of the Emerald Enchantress are true, [[spoiler:Sarah’s mom once upon a time]].
* RagtagBunchOfMisfits: Nobody among Sarah’s companions seems to know how to handle their powers completely. Of the four main companions, only Dax is shown as extremely competent, and he spends so much time complaining that it’s hard for anybody to notice his impressive skills.
* SecretLegacy: Despite being totally new to Greystone Valley, Sarah finds that she can cast spells very easily. Turns out she got this ability from [[spoiler: her mom, who was the original Emerald Enchantress.]]
* WeCanRuleTogether: Baelan offers Sarah this opportunity, although its questionable whether he really meant it.
* YearInsideHourOutside: [[spoiler: Sarah finally does make it home after several days of adventuring, only to find that it's only been an hour in her world]].