Creator/JaneYolen's ''Great Alta Saga'' is, in many ways, typical of the feminist speculative fiction of the seventies and eighties. There are the requisite separatist societies, the requisite pairing-off of the female characters with men despite the equally requisite LesYay, and the requisite lamentations regarding the shortcomings of modern society. That is not to say that they are bad booksó only that they may seem dated to modern audiences despite being relatively recent works.
The three books in this series are, in order, ''Sister Light, Sister Dark'' (1988), ''White Jenna'' (1989), and ''The One-Armed Queen'' (1998). The first two follow the story of Jenna and her dark (or shadow) sister, Skada, as they lead a long-overdue uprising in their native land. The third novel has Jenna's foster daughter, Scillia, as its main character, and a plot that focuses on the ending of the way of life in which Scillia was brought up.
It should be noted that, though the books were originally marketed for adults (which makes sense), new editions have since been published aimed at readers "ages 13 and up" (which doesn't).
!!This series contains examples of:
* AsskickingEqualsAuthority - Carum and Jenna, who become king and queen
* BandOfBrothers - everyone who fought in the war together
* BattleCouple - Jenna and Carum, Scillia and Sarana
* CultureClash - the women of the Hames and the invaders
* DeathByChildbirth - Jenna's mother; her father is too grief-stricken to raise her, so the midwife takes her to the Hame.
* EverythingsBetterWithPrincesses - subverted, as even the actual princesses are never referred to by title
* DoorstopBaby - how Jenna came to Seldan Hame
* LadyLand: Where the women live.
* LegendFadesToMyth: Interspersed with the story "as it actually happened" are passages from later retellings that mythologize the events, and others from even further on of historians trying to piece together what actually happened based on the very slim physical evidence (and being misled by their own prejudices.)
* LetsGetDangerous - Skada, who as a dark sister is supposed to fill a supporting role
* LovelyAngels - the women of the Hames and their dark sisters
* ProphecyTwist - Read them "on a slant".
* RapunzelHair - Jenna and Skada strangle people with theirs.
* SequelGap: ''The One-Armed Queen''
* TrueCompanions - Jenna and Skada's band before it develops into an army
* WhatMeasureIsAMook - Jenna has several moments like this