A series of children's books by Arnold Lobel, concerning the adventures of Frog and Toad, who are friends.
The series consists of:
* ''Frog and Toad are Friends'' (1970) (Caldecott Honor award)
* ''Frog and Toad Together'' (1972) ([[NewberyMedal Newbery Honor]] award)
* ''Frog and Toad All Year'' (1976)
* ''Days with Frog and Toad'' (1979)
There is a musical adaptation called ''Theatre/AYearWithFrogAndToad''. The stories were animated for Creator/TheBBC schools programme ''Words and Pictures''.
There is also an AnimatedAdaptation of two ''Frog and Toad'' books, made by ''Creator/ChurchillFilms'' in 1985, and voiced by [[SopranoAndGravel Will Ryan and Hal Smith]].
!!This series provides examples of:
* ADogNamedDog: Frog is a frog. Toad is a toad. According to John Clark Matthews, who animated the stop-motion adaptation, he once asked Lobel why he didn't give them actual names. Lobel didn't respond well to the query.
-->'''Matthews''': There was a pause while his furnace heated up. [[BerserkButton Then he exploded]]: "Yeah, sure! Frank the Frog! Tom the Toad! Sid the Snail! (etc!)" I felt like a small bug with a tiny brain. But mostly he was a sweet guy - if you didn't ask too many questions.
* BarefootCartoonAnimal: Frog and Toad wear jackets and trousers, but no shoes.
%%* ButtMonkey: Toad.
* CaretakerReversal: In one of the books, Toad tries to cheer up Frog because he's sick. Frog gets better but then Toad gets sick and Frog takes care of him.
* CarnivoreConfusion: Frog and Toad themselves are only shown eating human foods such as cookies, ice cream, and sandwiches. However, ''being'' eaten by predators is a legitimate fear for them.
* CivilizedAnimal: Frog and Toad live in human-like houses, wear clothes, and eat cookies and ice cream. However, they are also realistically scaled against other animals and objects in their environment, and fear predators such as snakes and hawks.
* CrazyPrepared: Toad tries to enact this trope by gathering several items with which to rescue Frog, who Toad imagines to be in great danger. [[spoiler:Frog is just fine.]]
%%* TheEeyore: Toad.
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: It's the story about a frog and a toad who, per the title of the first book, are friends.
* FrogsAndToads: The main characters of the series are a frog and a toad.
-->Toad said, "Frog, you are looking quite green."\\
"But I always look green," said Frog. "I am a frog."\\
"Today you look very green even for a frog," said Toad.
* NothingIsScarier: In Toad's dream, he dreams he is the greatest toad in the world. With each act onstage, Frog gets smaller and smaller until he eventually disappears. Toad realizes he is now alone. He wakes up, and Frog is just fine.
* ObsessedAreTheListmakers: In "The List", a story in ''Frog and Toad Together'', Toad makes a list of things to do and sticks to it so rigidly that when the wind blows the list away, he refuses to chase after it because chasing the list wasn't on his list of things to do. Heck, neither of them feel like they can do ''anything'', because they can't quite remember what was on the list. Eventually, when the sun set, one of them remembers that "go to sleep" was on the list. They write that on the ground, cross it out, and go to sleep right there.
* OldTimeyBathingSuit: One story revolves around Toad wearing one of these and trying to not be seen while wearing it.
* TalkingAnimal: Essentially all the other animals in the stories ''except'' Frog and Toad. May or may not simply be AnimalTalk, as humans never show up in the series.