''Literature/FarRainbow'' (Russian: "Далёкая Радуга", alternate translation: ''Distant Rainbow'') is the third novel by the Creator/StrugatskyBrothers to be set in the Franchise/NoonUniverse. It is extremely depressing and was directly inspired by the 1959 film adaptation of the PostApocalyptic novel ''Literature/OnTheBeach'', which the Stugatskys saw in 1962 and were devastated by.
Rainbow is a lush green planet far away from Earth, which is one big test ground for physicists. Their recent research is about [[TeleportersAndTransporters 0-T, a teleportation technique]]. Besides them, the planet is inhabited by their families, a couple of escapists, and few artists. When one of the experiments [[GoneHorriblyWrong backfires]], the whole planet is threatened by the deadly Wave...
!!Tropes found in the novel:
* AdvancingWallOfDoom - the Wave
* [[spoiler: ApocalypseHow - Class 5: all organics on the whole planet are going to die!]]
* ApocalypticLog - The protagonists make one, so the tragedy won't be repeated.
* ChildrenAreInnocent - [[spoiler: And thus deserve to be saved.]]
* CyberneticsEatYourSoul - Camillo.
* DoNotGoGentle - People continue to do useful things during the Wave's approach.
* FaceDeathWithDignity - [[spoiler:The entire adult population of the planet]] ends up doing it in the end. The cake definitely goes to the intended first human 0-T tester team, who swim into the Wave of their own accord ''[[DyingMomentOfAwesome while singing]]''.
* FailsafeFailure - "Charibdas"
* ForScience - Motivates many of the protagonists.
* GoneHorriblyWrong - The Wave.
* IgnoredExpert - Camillo.
* ImmortalLifeIsCheap - Camillo+.
* ImmortalityHurts - Camillo (both literally and emotionally - [[spoiler:"I have risen from the dead thrice today. It hurt a lot every time. [...] Soon, I will raise from the dead for the fourth time, all alone on a dead planet covered by ash and snow."]])
* LoveMakesYouEvil - Robert, who [[spoiler: leaves a couple of children behind.]]
** Robert was aware of this but [[spoiler:he knew that he cannot save all the children anyway, having only a tiny airplane. (Gaba: "But they are children!" Robert: "And those that stay here - they are not children? Who will choose the four of them who will fly to the Capital and to Earth? You will? Go and choose them!")]]
* ShootTheShaggyDog - Robert. Neither his heroics nor his [[spoiler: betrayal of children]] matter, since everyone is going to die anyway.
* SuicideBySea: In the bleak ending, the Tester Group swims to their deaths into the approaching Wave (a colossal wall of negative energy spawned by a scientific experiment Gone Horribly Wrong) while singing, rather than wait passively for it on the coast.
* TeleportersAndTransporters - The research is about them.
* UnexplainedRecovery: [[spoiler: Gorbovsky]] appears in latter novels, but the Rainbow incident is not discussed.
* YouShallNotPass - Done by Robert (and [[spoiler: Patrick]]) with regards to the Wave.
* WhatCouldPossiblyGoWrong - They know about the Wave, yet the planet has no escape ships ready? Were it not for "Tariel", ''nobody'' would survive!
** A partial excuse is that the 0-T scientists, according to their theory, never expected the Wave to be so strong; their calculations were flawed but they did not bother to check them because they considered the Wave to be only a bothersome side effect.
* YouAreTooLate - The "Strela".