->''Does anything I do matter?''
A 2009 novel by Ron Curie, Jr., chronicling the life of Junior Thibodeax, who, since before he was born, has heard a voice in his head feeding him information about the world around him, including the exact date and time of TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt.
!!This book provides examples of:
* AnAesop: The main conflict comes from Junior, knowing what he knows, attempting to answer the [[DrivingQuestion question]] "Does anything I do matter?" [[spoiler: The answer is ''[[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin yes]]''.]]
--> [[spoiler: "Listen: ''Everything ends, and Everything matters.'' Everything matters not in spite of the end of you and all that you love, but ''because'' of it. Everything is all you've got [...] it is all unfathomable, and it is all infinitely preferable to the [[TheNothingAfterDeath one dreadful alternative]].]]
* DeusAngstMachina: Life seems to be conspiring to destroy every HopeSpot Junior encounters in his life. So your druggie brother finally starts to get clean? [[spoiler: Oops, the drugs addled his brain. He'll live, but with the mentality of a child.]] You almost killed yourself to find a cure for your father's cancer? [[spoiler: Well, he'll fall asleep at the wheel and die before you get to see him again anyway.]] You finally convinced your girlfriend to escape your doomed planet with you? [[spoiler: She's going to be shot by terrorists a page later.]] Also applies to other characters, like the man who lost his legs to [[DeathBySex rug burn]].
* TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt: The Destroyer of Worlds.
* God: One possible explanation for the voices.
* MutilationInterrogation: [[spoiler: Amy]] is subjected to this because of [[spoiler: her]] ties to a suspected terrorist.
* NewOldFlame: Amy. Over and over.
* TheNothingAfterDeath: Implied to be the truth.
* TheRoyalWe: The voice(s) in Junior's head use "we" and "us."
* SecondPersonNarration: Most of the book is written as if the voices are addressing Junior.
* [[spoiler: YouCantFightFate:]] One possible interpretation of the book. [[spoiler: In addition to all the other DeusAngstMachina, everyone dies in the end. Everyone. But it still matters.]]