[[caption-width-right:199:The original cover for the third book. It was rejected for being too scary.]]
->''Beneath heaven is hell. Beneath hell is Furnace.''
--> -- ''The Warden'' (series tagline)
'''Escape from Furnace''' is a series of five books written by Alexander Gordon Smith detailing the adventures of [[AuthorAvatar Alex Sawyer]] in [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin escaping Furnace]] - an underground penitentiary for teenage criminals.
The books are:
* ''Death Sentence''
!!This novel features the following tropes:
* AdultsAreUseless - Kids are being dragged down to be tortured for life at an underground penitentiary and nobody even cares. Alex vaguely mentions about there being protests, but mostly, adults are just glad to get rid of the problematic kids. TeensAreMonsters is a common belief in that world, though, which explains the mentality.
* TheAlcatraz - Furnace. Together with HellholePrison, it defines the plot.
* AnyoneCanDie - And how. Just don't get too attached.
* AmbiguouslyGay: Zee sure was into Alex after [[spoiler: he became a blacksuit.]]
* BigBad: Alfred Furnace.
* BiggerBad: [[spoiler: The Stranger.]]
* TheBigGuy: Donovan, Gary, [[spoiler: Alex after becoming a blacksuit.]]
* TheBerserker: [[spoiler:The Berserkers, Gary and Alex.]]
* BoisterousBruiser: [[spoiler: Alex, after becoming a blacksuit, really comes to like fighting.]]
* BloodKnight: [[spoiler: Alex tries to not become this but when his BerserkButton is pushed, watch out.]]
* BodyHorror - The series runs on it, basically.
* TheBully - Alex himself used to be one.
* CainAndAbel: [[spoiler: Supposedly Alfred to his brother Jószef, but really it was all a set up by the stranger]].
* ContemplateOurNavels - Particularly in Solitary, for obvious reasons, and in the beginning of Death Sentence.
* TheDogBitesBack - The warden learns it the hard way.
* EldritchAbomination: The Stranger.
* EvilIsDeathlyCold: Again, the Stranger.
* FateWorseThanDeath - Being taken by the Blood Watch.
* FauxAffablyEvil - The warden. Sometimes, Alex notices that he's being genuinely affable, but it doesn't last very long, and most of his smiles are all acts.
* GasMaskMooks - The Wheezers.
** Warden Cross [[spoiler: (up until ''Fugitives'').]]
** [[spoiler: Colonel Alice Panettiere in ''Execution'']].
* HeelFaceTurn: [[spoiler: Alex: during the first book after he gets thrown in Furnace, again in the third book after he becomes a blacksuit, and again in the same book when he recovers from the warden's brainwashing.]]
* HumanoidAbomination - Alex describes many of the horrors of gen pop as being that. What makes the rats, blacksuits, wheezers, berserkers and even the warden so scary for him are the fact that they look like people [[UncannyValley who came out very wrong]].
* IWantThemAlive - The warden to Alex, but mostly because death is an easy way out.
* KickTheMoralityPet - [[spoiler: Ozzie's death by Alex' hands.]]
* MasterRace - The Blacksuits.
* MaybeMagicMaybeMundane - While Escape from Furnace explains its horrors through science, The Night Children uses creepy lore to explain the same things.
* MercyKill - [[spoiler: Donovan, by Alex. Zee tries to do the samething to Alex, and asks Alex to do it for him as well.]]
* ANaziByAnyOtherName - [[spoiler: Furnace and Warden Cross were actually Nazis, which explains their desire to create a Master Race and rule the world.]]
* NoSwastikas - Partially subverted. While Furnace's symbol is rather a blatant stand-in (especially on its flag: red backdrop, white circle, black symbol), swastikas are directly mentioned in [[spoiler: a dream Alex has while becoming a blacksuit in ''Death Sentence''.]]
* NotSoAboveItAll: Zee reveals he's this in Fugitives [[spoiler: when it's revealed he used to carjack.]]
* PleasePutSomeClothesOn - Hilariously between Zee and Alex, with Zee stating that Alex, with his worn out, ragged, ill-fitting prison outfit, is looking "practically indecent".
* PluckyComicRelief: Zee.
* SoProudOfYou - The warden to [[spoiler: Alex]]. Of course, it turns into DisappointedInYou very quickly.
* StartOfDarkness - A good deal of Death Sentence and "The Night Children" short story are about that.
* TheSmurfettePrinciple: Lucy.
** Furnace was founded in reaction to the "Summer of Slaughter", in which the rate of major crimes (especially murder) skyrocketed.
** Inside Furnace, some particularly... exciting inmates fit this trope perfectly.
* TeenyWeenie: Simon remarks [[spoiler: when helping a blacksuited Alex getting changed, THAT was the one thing Furnace didn't make bigger.]]
* TookALevelInBadass - Alex [[spoiler: after becoming a blacksuit.]]
* WasOnceAMan - [[spoiler: Every horror in Furnace Penitentiary. ''[[KickTheDog Except the dogs]]'']]