A 2001 novel by Creator/JacquelineWilson, about April, a girl who was [[DoorstopBaby abandoned in a dustbin]] behind a pizza restaurant minutes after being born. Even though she's now settled in a good home with a loving foster parent, Marion, she can't help but wonder why her birth mother didn't want her. [[BirthdayHater Especially on her birthday.]] After getting into an argument with Marion over a birthday present, she decides to skip school to revisit all the homes she's lived in, leading back to the first home she ever knew - the dustbin.
The book was adapted into TV movie starring Dakota Blue Richards in 2008.
!This book and film provide examples of:
* AdultsAreUseless: The ones at the Sunnybank foster home are, anyway. They're completely blind to the fact sweet little Pearl is actually a bully who likes to torture April.
* BerserkButton: Destroying April's paper dolls. Pearl learned this the hard way.
** Abandonment becomes one for April in the movie. She storms away when Marion says she's going to retire from teaching, because that means leaving the school and therefore ''her''.
* BewareTheNiceOnes: Everyone in the foster home was shocked and surprised that April would push Pearl down the stairs. What they didn't know was Pearl had been bullying April nonstop for months.
* BirthdayHater: Guess who.
* BittersweetEnding: [[spoiler: April did not find her birth mother and probably never will. But she did find the man who found her and has realized how much Marion loves her.]]
* DeliberatelyCuteChild: April plays up her cuteness at Sunnybank so Gina and the other older kids will like her more.
** Pearl acts this way in front of the carers.
* DrivenToSuicide: April's adoptive mother commmitted suicide in the bathtub after her husband left her.
* HappilyAdopted: April ''was'' this with her adoptive family, until her parents split up and her mother killed herself.
* InnocentInaccurate: Being very young at the time, April doesn't understand what happened to her mum until years later.
* KidsAreCruel: Pearl. To ''insane'' levels. Her idea of playing "Mermaids" during bath time is holding April under the water until she goes limp.
* MeaningfulName: April was born and found on April Fools Day.
* TheCameo: Tanya from ''Bad Girls'', another Wilson novel, makes an appearance.