''Day of the Dragon'' is a fantasy novel by Richard A. Knaak, and set in the Franchise/WarcraftExpandedUniverse. The first of Creator/BlizzardEntertainment's tie-in novels from this franchise, the story is set several months after the events of ''VideoGame/WarcraftII: Beyond the Dark Portal''. As the Horde's remaining territories in Azeroth become increasingly besieged and the nation of the Alliance begin to squabble, the human mage Rhonin is sent to the heart of the Horde's operations to free one of their last remaining advantages, the imprisoned Dragonqueen Alexstraza. Of course, not everyone wants to see her freed, and Rhonin soon becomes embroiled in a conspiracy to see the Age of Dragons restored, and mortal life on Azeroth destroyed.
This story is notable for defining the nature of the dragonflights and the Aspects, as well as creating three new dragonflights to add into the canon. Many of the details in this book would be touched upon in the ''Literature/TheWarOfTheAncients'' trilogy, as well as many of the quests in ''VideoGame/WorldOfWarcraft'', particularly the ''Cataclysm'' expansion.
!!This book contains the following tropes:
* AllYourPowersCombined: After regaining their strength, the Aspects unless their full power on Deathwing. He flees rather than fight them at full strength.
* BadassGrandpa: Tyranastraz is old and dying of a terminal illness. Despite this, he still tries to save the eggs from Deathwing.
* BelligerentSexualTension: Vereesa and Rhonin annoyed each other in the beginning. Their later romance surprises nobody.
* BoundAndGagged: Vereesa and Falstad experience this at the hands of some hungry trolls...
* CanonImmigrant: Many of the Dragon Aspects and other characters in the novel would find their way into the Warcraft games eventually.
* ChekhovsGunman: [[spoiler: a six-year-old Arthas]]
* FauxActionGirl: Vereesa Windrunner kicks very little ass in this story, considering the family pedigree she has to live up too. Screaming, getting hit on and getting knocked out are the grand majority of her contributions to the plot.
* ImAHumanitarian: Or an elfitarian or dwarfitarian, as the case may be.
* LargeHam: Deathwing, particularly with his evil laughs.
* LawfulStupid: Duncan Senturus, in the first part of the book.
* MacGuffin: The Demon Soul.
* MamaBear: Alexstrasza, both for her own dragonflight specifically and for life of Azeroth in general.
** [[spoiler:Nekros Skullcrusher]] finds out the hard way--for his crimes, ''[[EatenAlive he ends up in her stomach.]]''
* NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast: Granted, this is expected from an Orc, but...'''Nekros Skullcrusher'''.
* SwallowedWhole: The fate of [[spoiler:Nekros]], courtesy of Alexstrasza. [[KarmicDeath Couldn't have happened to a more deserving Orc.]]