''Cold Vengeance'' is a novel by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child first published in 2011. It is part of their informal [[Literature/AgentPendergast Agent Pendergast series]] and the second novel in the Helen Trilogy story arc.
Pendergast has tracked those responsible for his wife's death, except for one key player who still remains in the shadows. He figures out who is behind it all when he receives a convenient invitation to a hunting trip in the most remote parts of Scotland - the perfect place to commit murder. In what he thinks will be the final confrontation, Pendergast finds he's only scratched the surface of a much larger conspiracy.
!!This novel provides examples of:
* AlwaysSaveTheGirl: Esterhazy counts on this trope to lure Pendergast to him.
* BewareTheNiceOnes: After what he puts her through, [[spoiler:Constance]] calmly tells [[spoiler:Esterhazy]] that she is going to kill him. When he asks if that's a threat, she flatly tells him it's a simple fact. Sooner or later, she'll kill him for what he's done.
* HaveYouToldAnyoneElse: Betterton is asked this [[spoiler:just before his murder]].
* NoOneCouldSurviveThat: Esterhazy leaves Pendergast for dead in the bogs, figuring there was no way for the agent to extract himself from the quicksand.
* NotSoStoic: Pendergast's normally cool demeanor completely breaks down at times, after severely eroding in the previous novel.
* MakeItLookLikeAnAccident: Esterhazy lures Pendergast to a hunting trip in Scotland to murder him.
* OurHeroIsDead: Pendergast is officially declared dead after they cannot find his body in the Scottish bogs. Corrie writes a touching eulogy on her website for him.