''Carrion Comfort'' is a fantasy/horror novel written by Creator/DanSimmons about psychic vampires that secretly control the world (or at least, as much of it as they want to).
!! This book provides examples of:
* AffablyEvil: Some of the [[OurVampiresAreDifferent mind vampires]], particularly C. Arnold Barent.
* AncientConspiracy: Averted. Though the mind vampires are able to mind control virtually anyone, they don't use governments or try to change the world. [[spoiler:The Öberst wants that to change.]]
* TheChessmaster: Barent and the Oberst, both literally and figuratively.
* DoNotTauntCthulhu: Melanie may not be as aggressive or predatory as the other vampires but you know that Vincent the hitchhiker and the street gang threatening and cursing her will end get a terrible comeuppance.
* EvilVersusEvil: Whenever the vampires fight each other.
* FateWorseThanDeath: The Pawns.
* HeelFaceDoorSlam: [[spoiler:Tony Harod.]]
* HumanChess: To the death.
* ILoveYouBecauseICantControlYou: Tony Harod with Maria Chen.
* InfantImmortality: Subverted in the first 50 pages of the book.
* KarmaHoudini: [[spoiler:Melanie Fuller]]
* KillEmAll: Well, not everyone, but close.
* KickTheDog: Harod could have been the TropeNamer. [[spoiler: The first chapter he is introduced in has him raping a 17 year old model and actress and not too long after does the same with an air stewardess.]] He does have a PetTheDog moment with Maria Chen [[spoiler: when he helped her go cold turkey.]]
* MindRape: Plenty of those. And in Tony Harod's case, literally.
* NotSoDifferent: The Oberst tries this on Saul. [[ShutUpHannibal It doesn't work.]]
* PsychicAssistedSuicide: All. The. Time.