Damen is a warrior hero to his people, and the rightful heir to the throne of Akielos, but when his half brother seizes power, Damen is captured, stripped of his identity, and sent to serve the prince of an enemy nation as a pleasure slave.
Beautiful, manipulative and deadly, his new master Prince Laurent epitomizes the worst of the court at Vere. But in the lethal political web of the Veretian court, nothing is as it seems, and when Damen finds himself caught up in a play for the throne, he must work together with Laurent to survive and save his country.
For Damen, there is just one rule: never, ever reveal his true identity. Because the one man Damen needs is the one man who has more reason to hate him than anyone else . . .
Written initially as a free online serial on livejournal by C.S. Pacat[[note]]Know previously as Freece or S.U. Pacat[[/note]], all three books of The Captive Prince Trilogy are now officially published.
!!''Captive Prince'' contains examples of:
* BadassGay: In a setting with tons of sword fights and intrigue, and where most characters are gay by some degree or another, you get lots of this.
* BetaCouple: Each book has a couple getting together in the background that serves as a foil to Damen and Laurent.
** In the first book, [[spoiler:Torveld and Erasmus]] are an "ideal" master/slave pairing.
** In the second, [[spoiler:Jord and Aimeric]] are a rough soldier and a pampered, pretty noble who have an easy, affectionate relationship [[spoiler:that leads to tragedy due to Aimeric's dark secrets]].
** In the last, [[spoiler:Pallas and Lazar]] are an Akielon and Veretian who make an uncomplicated, fun couple who get together based mainly off of physical attraction.
* BigBrotherWorship: Laurent towards Auguste, before he died.
* ConsummateLiar: Laurent and [[spoiler: the Regent, from whom Laurent apparently learned all his tricks.]]
* CreepyUncle: [[spoiler: The Regent, who took advantage of a grieving Laurent after Auguste was killed.]]
* DeadlyDecadentCourt: Vere, as pretty much stated in the summary.
* DeadpanSnarker: Laurent. Though most named characters seems to have their moments.
* DecapitationPresentation: Poor [[spoiler: Nicaise]]...
* DramaticIrony: Very appropriately, considering Akielon culture is based on AncientGreece: [[spoiler: the reader figures out long before Damen that Laurent was raped by his uncle.]]
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler: Aimeric.]]
* EatingTheEyeCandy: Even before Damen started to like Laurent he was attracted to him and prone to staring.
* EverybodyHasLotsOfSex: Veretians are horrified by the idea of illegitimate birth and heterosexual sex outside of marriage, but are perfectly willing to take same-sex pets and indulge themselves in public displays of gay sex, while Akielons don't much care who you're attracted to but are shocked at the idea of doing it while someone is watching.
* EveryoneIsBi: Most characters in this series are fine with either gender, though there are the rare few who are exclusively straight or gay.
* ForbiddenRomance: Damen and Laurent are the crown princes of two kingdoms who loathe each other, and more personally, Damen killed Laurentís beloved brother.
** And Laurent knew of, and took glee in, the arranged murder of Damen's father and his entire household. Mostly because of the aforementioned [[CycleOfRevenge brother-killing.]]
* GoodCannotComprehendEvil: Why Damen was so blindsided by Kastor and Jokaste's betrayal, why it took him so long to realize who Nicaise belonged to, why he never figured out the relationship between the Regent and Laurent.
** Laurent describes Auguste this way too:
--->"Auguste was like you ... He had no instinct for deception; it meant he couldn't recognize it in other people."
* HappinessInSlavery: Erasmus, Type 3, who was apparently chosen to be a slave because of his submissive tendencies. More generally, Akielon slaves: they're described as being perfectly submissive, bringing obedience to the form of a high art, but can expect perfect treatment and care in return.
* HasAType: Damen prefers blonde hair and blue eyes.
* IceQueen: Laurent is a rare male example, and has been described as a "cast-iron bitch". Twice.
** DefrostingIceQueen: Only in private, though, and only towards Damen.
* MadeASlave: Damen, within the first few pages.
* ManipulativeBastard: [[spoiler: The Regent.]] Laurent is a more honourable example.
* MissingMom: For a plot line where succession, the royal family, and bloodlines are important, no one seems to have mothers.
* NoHeterosexualSexAllowed: In Vere, having an illegitimate child is highly stigmatized. As such, pre-marital homosexual relations are the norm.
* PrettyBoy: Everyone and their cousins appreciates Laurent's pretty boy looks, with varying degrees of vulgarity. Damen refuse let the readers forget how blonde Laurent is, and how nice his facial and body structure is, and how fine his skin is, and etc., long before he even ''starts'' to warm up to Laurent.
** It is, however, not until he somewhat likes Laurent that he really acknowledges his beauty. Before that, he just describes it in a vaguely detached sort of way.
* SexSlave: Damen. Heís doing his best to correct this. Also the many sex slaves in or from Akielos: Erasmus, to name one.
* SpoiledBrat: Laurent certainly comes off this way at first.
* [[YouKilledMyFather You Killed My Brother]]: Damen killed Laurent's beloved older brother Auguste before the first book. [[spoiler: At the end of the third book, Laurent kills Damen's brother Kastor.]]