Linda gets bullied at school and everyone, including the narrator, makes fun of her. Then the narrator gets bullied and suddenly, it’s not funny any more.
''Blubber'' was first published by JudyBlume in 1974 and was banned from many school libraries and reading lists because of violence and language.
!! This book provides examples of:
* ActualPacifist: Linda tries to solve the problem by dialogue. It fails.
* AdultsAreUseless: The teachers scold the kids occasionally for their antics, but never make a move to stop it. Jill's mother comforts her when the class turns on her, but doesn't step in to actually ''help'' her.
* AlphaBitch: Wendy
* AnnoyingYoungerSibling: Kenny Brenner
* [[BlackBestFriend Chinese Best Friend]]: Tracy Wu
* BerserkButton: Never call Jill's best friend Tracy a racial slur. Ever.
* TheBully: Wendy
* CreepyChild: Wendy and her followers are a borderline example. They ''write lists'' of new ways to torment Linda, including ''forcibly undressing her'' on two separate occasions. Later, Wendy and her gang attack Jill at the bus stop and throw her books on the ground.
* DoubleStandard: Touched on regarding overweight males versus overweight females. Jill notes that one of the boys gleefully tormenting Linda is extremely overweight. Even better, he's jumping rope to a mocking chant directed towards the title character. Special attention is called to his undulating rolls of fat in the narration.
* InformedDeformity: Linda is apparently the fattest girl in the class, but on the cover art she doesn't look any heavier than the rest of the girls.
** Lampshaded in the book. Jill admits that she doesn't know why they all go after Linda to torment, as Linda really isn't all that big.
* KarmaHoudini: Wendy, again.
* KidsAreCruel: And ''how''.
* LonersAreFreaks: Poor Linda…
* MoralityPet: Tracy seems to be this for Jill, as she's the only one Jill has a consistent good relationship with.
* SchoolBullyingIsHarmless: '''Subverted!'''
* ShamefulStrip: After trapping Linda in the girls' bathroom, Wendy orders Jill (dressed as a flenser for Halloween) to "strip the Blubber" and not stop until she has to run down the hall "in her blubbery birthday suit." It never gets ''that'' far, but the girls do reveal Linda's undershirt and flowery underpants before letting her off with a lesser humiliation.
* ShutUpHannibal: Jill ''does'' eventually call Wendy on her bullshit, even if in the end it amounts to little.
* VillainProtagonist: Jill