This is a 2007 book by Creator/MattRuff. Jane Charlotte has been arrested for murder. She tells police that she is a member of a secret organization devoted to fighting evil; her division is called the Department for the Final Disposition of Irredeemable Persons -- "Bad Monkeys" for short. The confessions earns Jane a trip to the jail's psychiatric wing, where a doctor attempts to determine whether she is lying, crazy -- or playing a different game altogether. [[spoiler: The answer is yes.]]
'''Spoiler Alert: Due to the nature of this book, there are a lot of spoilers in the trope list.'''
* AbusiveParents: Jane's mother.
* AllJustADream: [[spoiler: Everything after Jane meets the Scary Clowns.]]
* BigBrotherIsWatching: Panopticon has cameras in any picture with eyes and also in library binding.
* DeadAllAlong: Phil. [[spoiler: Zig-zagged when it turns out he's not actually dead.]]
* TheEndingChangesEverything: [[spoiler: Turns out Jane is actually a mole from The Troop and that entire story may or may not have been a lie.]]
* EvilTwin: Bad Jane. [[spoiler: Turns out she's not real, though.]]
* HeroesRUs: The organization Jane joins.
* IncorruptiblePurePureness: [[spoiler: Apparently Phil was this, and that's why the Bad Monkeys were able to recruit him.]]
* MagicRealism: The organization sees everything, can make things appear from thin air, and have dream lessons. However the focus isn't really on the magical aspects of what they do. It almost borders on MundaneFantastic.
* MakeItLookLikeAnAccident: NC Guns make people's deaths look like natural causes such as heart attacks or strokes.
* MindScrew: Oh Lordy!
* TheMole: [[spoiler: Jane]]
* MonsterClown: The "Scary Clown" division. Apparently John Wayne Gacy was one of them who went rogue.
* MrsRobinson: Jane had a habit of sleeping with underage boys (aka "pet boys") in exchange for booze and a place to stay.
* NebulousEvilOrganization: The Troop.
* ObfuscatingInsanity: Annie
* ReverseMole: [[spoiler: Phil]]
* SerialKillerKiller: What "Bad Monkeys" does.
* UnreliableNarrator: [[spoiler: Jane]].
* YourTelevisionHatesYou: After Dixon reveals that he knows about Jane's "pet boys", all she sees or hears is stuff related to that, such as ''[[TeacherStudentRomance The Mary Kay Letourneau Story]]'', MichaelJackson songs, and even songs by the Pet Shop Boys.