A series of books about a Jewish family in the 1910s. It tells the story of five young girls and the everyday trials, tribulations and triumphs of being poor in money, but rich in spirit and family strength.
!!Contains examples of:
* AssumedWin: In ''Uptown'', when Sarah loses a coveted History Prize to another girl in her graduating class.
* [[BeachEpisode Beach Chapter]]
* BookDumb: Henny
* DontYouDarePityMe: In ''More All-Of-A-Kind Family'', Lena calls off her engagement to Hyman, thinking he only pities her due to [[spoiler: her leg being permanently crippled by polio]].
* DeniedFoodAsPunishment: Middle child Sarah refuses to eat her rice soup at lunch and is denied anything else until she does.
* [[FiveManBand Five Girl Band]]:
** [[TheHero The Leader]]: Ella
** TheLancer: Henny
** [[TheBigGuy The Big Imagination]]: Charlotte
** [[TheSmartGuy The Smart Girl]]: Sarah
** TheChick: Gertie
** TheSixthRanger: Little Charlie
* HairOfGoldHeartOfGold: Averted with Henny, even discussed in ''All-Of-A-Kind Family Downtown'': "So much gold in the hair! What a pity there's so little in the heart." Played straight with Sarah and Gertie.
* IllGirl: Sarah; Ella mentions her being prone to sore throats, the narrative states that she spends more time in the sick room than her sisters and she's the first one of the sisters to catch Scarlet Fever. Henny is the inverse of this trope, as she can't even catch the disease when she ''tries''.
* InformedJudaism: Averted. The narrative discusses Jewish holidays and traditions, and Yiddish dialogue is peppered throughout the story (specifically in the market trip chapter).
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Henny, full stop
* LimitedWardrobe: In the first book, the girls are rarely seen wearing anything other than their dark blue dresses and white aprons.
* [[MrImagination Miss Imagination]]: Charlotte to the point of sometimes being a Cloudcuckoolander, as when she dumps embers in her lap because she thinks they're beautiful.
* MistakenIdentity: Waiting in the dark, Papa mistakes Henny's friend for Henny (in trouble for breaking curfew) and turns her over his for a rigorous spanking. HilarityEnsues.
* NeverASelfMadeWoman: Well, these books ''were'' written in the 1950s.
* NoNameGiven: We never do learn Mama and Papa's given names.
* OnlyOneName: ...or the family's last name.
* ParentalMarriageVeto: [[spoiler: Charlie's]] parents forbade him from marrying the love of his life, who walked away in sadness. In anger, he left his home, his old life and even his old name [[spoiler: Herbert Charles Grahm]]. But in the end, he and his sweetheart are happily reunited [[spoiler: and she turns out to be the girls' favorite librarian, Kathy Allen]].
* [[SmittenTeenageGirl Smitten Preteen Girl]]: Ella's crush on Charlie
* WildTeenParty: Henny goes to one of these in ''AllOfAKindFamily Uptown''. Of course, this being 1917, it's pretty tame.
* UsefulNotes/WorldWarI: ''AllOfAKindFamily Uptown''. Ella's beau Jules even goes to fight in the war; luckily he makes it back safe and sound.