''Aftermath'' is a science fiction novel written by Charles Sheffield, where Alpha Centauri goes supernova circa 2022. Four years later, in 2026, gamma rays hit the Earth's atmosphere, creating a worldwide electromagnetic pulse that knocks out the power grid and most electronics.
!!Provides examples of the following tropes.
* AMillionIsAStatistic: Discussed in brief by some of the characters while they are hitching a ride on a military convoy.
* AwesomeAussie: Wilmer, the physicist on the semi-doomed mission to Mars is often described as possessing classically Australian burliness.
* BizarreSeasons: Side effect of a second sun in the southern hemisphere.
* EndlessDaytime: That poor southern hemisphere.
* InferredHolocaust: The EMP would have knocked almost all planes out of the sky, killing thousands. Subverted as the prologue follows the flight path of the Vice President on one of the crashing planes.