->''"For there is no worse punishment to Man, then to want to avenge and not being able to."''\\
A very, very scary short story by Creator/NikolaiGogol.
!!This work contains examles of:
* AFateWorseThanDeath: Several:
** The Warlock [[spoiler:, already dead, is gnawn at by his ancestors until the end of time.]]
** His ancestors [[spoiler: are tormented by every one of his atrocities in their graves, before they rise as revenants to devour him.]]
** Petro [[spoiler: ''attempts'' to rise, but cannot, and gnaws on his ''own'' bones instead of the Warlock's; he also grows beneath the Carpathians, and shakes the earth itself in his agony.]]
** And, [[BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor last but not least, Ivan]] [[spoiler: [[FridgeHorror is]] ''[[FridgeHorror forced]]'' [[FridgeHorror to watch the]] [[TitleDrop terrible vengeance]] [[FridgeHorror he inflicted on his brother.]]]]
* ApocalypticLog: Hand in hand with PaintingTheMedium. Starts more or less formal, but the storytelling gets crazier, weirder and less structured as the story progresses.
* EatsBabies: [[spoiler: Kills them, actually. Own toddler nephew[=/=]grandson, even.]]
* EvilMakesYouUgly: In case of GlamourFailure, that is.
* GoneHorriblyRight: To avoid spoilers, let's just say that Ivan's plans for revenge worked perfectly... but now he himself is caught in them for all eternity.
* JustSoStory: And that's why we have earthquakes.
* OurZombiesAreDifferent: The revenants.
* RuleOfScary: The reason a [[spoiler: land-spanning undead corpse]] isn't ridiculous.
* SerialEscalation: Ok, [[TemptingFate there's no way it can get more]] vile/scary...Wait, it just did.